Malicious Fun and Deadly Games

Kate's POV

Well, he wasn't lying, that's for sure.

This was one of the few thoughts running through my mind as their feet collided with my stomach. I flinched again, but refused to cry out. No way in hell was I giving him the satisfaction of hearing my pain. I clenched my eyelids shut, anticipating the next blow that never came. I felt an arm slide through one of mine and I felt my shoulder being yanked out of it's socket. I winced, still not allowing tears to form. I felt my body being forced into the spindly, old chair from my nightmares.

"You have 18 hours, Gotham City." The sentence was punctuated by the clicks of handcuffs over my wrists. I hung my head, allowing my long, dirty blonde hair form a curtain over my face. I looked towards the camera and shook my head.

"Don't do -" The camera shut off. I jumped slightly as warm breath trickled over my neck.

"You shouldn't have done that, love. It'll only get worse for you." I shuddered as he ran his gloved fingertips lightly over my bare, bruised collarbone.

"I don't see how it could possibly get much worse than this." I lifted my chin defiantly. I heard him chuckle and move in front of me. He grasps my chin and brings his face closer to my own.

"You'd be surprised." He ripped his hand away from my chin and I gasp softly at the crassness of his words. The door slammed shut. I flinched from the loud bang and double checked that I was alone. Once I was certain of this fact, I allowed my battered body to slump down in the chair that barely supported my weight. I folded my body in half as my dislocation shoulder banged against the wood. I allowed the tears to fall now, unaware that there was a one way mirror that let my captors view my every move. I didn't see the way he grinned as I let all the pain and agony evaporate frow my body.

After wallowing in my own misery, I turned my mind to escape. From what the Joker had said, I only had eighteen hours left of my life.

Ha, over my dead body! - wait ...

Regardless, there was no way in hell that I was going to let him get away with it. Not this time. Using my battered legs, I felt around for something sharp to use for some manner of self defence. There wasn't much, unless you counted the thick layering of dust that coated almost everything in the room. I heard a phone ringing faintly and recognised the tune of my ringtone. So my phone was still in the vicinity. That was a positive at least.

I need some form of hope to hold on to.

I don't mean to sound pessimistic, but I've been here nearly two weeks with no attempts of rescue so that flame is running low on wood. It's easy to slip into that sort of funk but hard to come out of one. I know that there was minimal chance of my escaping with in the next eighteen hours, but that wasn't going to stop me from trying. I heard a light scrape and glanced downwards. Beside my, now slightly grey, boots lay a sharpened chunk of metal.

How cliche.

Still, it was better than nothing. Using both feet, I carefully lifted the chunk up and stretched my hand far enough to inch the strip into my pocket. I left out a small sigh of relief. I had some small form of defense and that may be all that I needed. Even with this small success, I couldn't force back the yawn that escaped my lips next. A wave of tiredness washed over me and I allowed my eyelids to droop.

I had eighteen hours after all. His games could wait. My eyes drifted off and my mind went blank as sleep caressed my battle scarred body.

Authors Note - I apologize for the short crappyness of this severely late chapter. In New Zealand, we've just finished our school exams and whatnot and my brain has been pretty overworked recently but I feel that I needed to put another chapter.

Don't hurt me. Please.

Bek x