xiv. yule ball

▪▪▪▪▪

▪▪▪▪▪

It was days before the Yule ball was arriving, and everyone had been so worked up that Dawn simply couldn't stand to be in the company of anyone other than Drew and Colleen.

"This ball is so stupid," Colleen huffs with crossed arms. "I'm glad I got asked by Adam or else I would be just as stressed as all those girls."

Drew rolled his eyes. "Aren't you lucky?"

Dawn was looking out onto the Black Lake with a sentimental look then says:

"You know this time next year everything could be so different. I could die at the end of this tournament for all we know currently. Maybe this time next year you'll be mourning me in this very spot."

"Dawn just because you have to dance doesn't mean that you suddenly need to act like Merlin. It will be fine. Besides your going with one of the hottest guys in school."

She got asked by Ethan, she had said yes because apparently he was a good dancer, meaning she wouldn't make a fool out of herself.

"I still don't want to go."

"But - but you have to go," Drew exclaimed with a scoff, "You have to do that dance! I'm excited to see it."

Dawn rises to her feet bringing both of them to sent her confused looks as she grabs her bag and a roll of parchment. "I know which is why I've got to go mail my mum asking ways around it. I'll catch you guys later."

As Dawn made her way to the Gryffindor tower to send a letter to her mum and Dave, she was greeted by Hermione who was also sending a letter.

She strolled up the snow stained steps and paused not sure whether to say hello or not.

Hermione turns. "Hello, Dawn."

"Oh hey," Dawn replies casually as her owl comes strolling around the tower and lands down on her hand. She greeted it by softly stroking the white feathers prickled across its body, the owl responded by nuzzling into her.

"How are you?"

"I'm good. Good." she says awkwardly, "Are you going to the ball?"

Hermione nods. "Yes yes! And you?"

"Yes I'm going. I sort of have to. It's a requirement-"