Forty

He promised.

He promised she wouldn't be there.

He promised he made sure of it.

Should I feel betrayed?

"You promised me," I turn to look at Harry who looks just as shocked as I am.

Harry doesn't look at me. He just stares at Paige, and after a few moments of awkward silence between the three of us, he finally speaks up.

"You said you wouldn't come. Why are you here?" He looks at her, and moves closer to me, holding my hand.

"Change of plans, Harry! Aren't you happy to see me?" She winks at him, stepping closer to us.

Her voice is the most annoying sound I have ever heard.

"You promised, Paige. It was a deal." He raises his voice at her and I'm almost convinced that he has nothing to do with this. Maybe she's just a bitch.

"Promises are made to be broken aren't they? Don't pretend you're not happy to see me, Haz."

"I hate that nickname." I huff in annoyance.

"So do I," he whispers so I'm the only one who can hear.

"Just stay away, Paige. Or I'll have to involve Paul, and it won't be pretty." He makes a disgusting face at her which I think was adorable, and then stalks off, pulling me along with him.

I turn to look at her one last time, and I see her grinning at me, and this could only mean one thing.

She's up to something.

I can't deny how happy I am that Harry completely shut her off and gave her no attention. I was smiling so much, my fave hurt.

Harry and I exchange glances as we enter the elevator. And he finally breaks the silence again.

"I didn't know." His grip on my hand is still tight.

"I believe you."

"You do?"

"Of course I do. Shouldn't I?"

"That's not what I meant... I thought you wouldn't believe me when I said I didn't know she was coming. Because this time, I had no idea. Paige is exasperating."

"I think she's in love with you," Harry's hand drops from mine to his sides.

"Gibberish." He laughs. The sound is his laugh is music to my ears.

"She wants the title of being my girlfriend again, Clary. She misses the attention she got, you know? Because she knows you're the only one who I care about now, and she isn't happy about it."

My heart warms at his words.

It takes me a lot of strength to be able to stand on both my feet, his charm had certainly gotten to me this time.

Like the last time.

And the time before that.

I was whipped.

"So you did give her attention when you were together?" I say, coming back to the topic.

"God, no. I meant from the paparazzi and everyone else. She coudn't care less about me, and the feeling is mutual, so there's nothing really I to worry about. "

I stick my tongue out and then mentally slap myself. What a ridiculous thing to do.

"We weren't together..It wasn't a real rela--"

"I know. Let's not talk about her. It makes me sick. Why haven't we reached yet?"

"I forgot to press the button, damn." Harry laughs again before pressing the elevator button that read 21.