Suspicion

It is September of 1965, and Mary just graduated from High school a couple of months earlier. Anna is around 7 months pregnant with her third child, and Aunt Mona's Husband “Uncle Jack ‘J.D.’ Horton” just came back from the military. lately, Andre has been gambling with a group by the name of “Mu Keta”. Mu Keta is a group of destructive teens and pre-teens from ages 11-19 that carries out series of wrongful acts such as gambling, stealing, and illegal pranks.

focus fades into the kitchen of Mama’s house with herself preparing for the night’s supper (or evening meal) Velesa and Mickey we’re also present with himself reading a novel called “To Kill a Mockingbird”, while Velesa was finishing her homework assignment. Mama walked up upstairs to her bedroom while Mary came down the stairs, walked through the hallway and entered into the kitchen.

Mary: where’s Mama?

Mickey: she just went upstairs. you didn't see her?

Mary: no. i probably wasn’t paying attention.

Mickey: *teasing* probably? you mean you actually wasn’t paying attention? *he chuckles*

A playful grin went across her face.

Mary: okay Mister i wanna read crappy books.

Mickey: *grinning* Aye! this book aint crappy unlike that “watcher in the tie” mess you be readin’

Mary: *grinning* you mean “Catcher In The Rye?”

Mickey: *grinning* ugh! whatever that junk is.

Mary: *shaking her head* whatever Mickey.

She turns her head towards the silver pan covered with the lid with steam blowing out of it’s creases.

Mary: what does Mama have cooking in this pan?

Velesa: im not sure. i think those are mixed vegetables. she’s letting it cook on “low” while she’s changes clothes.

Mary: what’s she changing clothes for?

Mickey: right, that’s what i was gonna ask?

Velesa: well i hear that she’s gonna have a couple of people over for our supper tonight.

Mary: oh okay. who?

Velesa: umm… i don’t know. i forgot.

Mary: *teasing* it figures, you’re always forgetting stuff with your convenient memory loss having self.

she turns her head to her with an expression of disapproval.

Velesa: uuh…. says the one who left Mama’s purse at the grocery store just the other day.

Mickey: oooooh!

Mary: yeah whatever.

Mickey: *grinning* now who’s the one with convenient memory loss huh? *he laughs*

Mary: *shaking her head* shut up Mickey.

Mama walked down the stairs in a beautiful pink-flowered sundress. as she walked toward the children, they turned their heads immediately when the sunlight turned pink in the kitchen, reflecting from her sundress.

smiles spread across Mary and Velesa’s faces but a melancholy frown went across Mickey’s face.

Velesa: *smiling* wow.

Mary: *smiling* you look good Mama.

Mama: *she chuckles* thank you (to Velesa) what do you think sweetie? *she spins in her sundress* you like it?