Chapter 2

Josephine had stayed in bed most of the next day. Between tears, forced conversations, and a couple glasses of wine during the wake, she was exhausted. Eventually, hunger lured her out of bed. She stood in front of the open refrigerator staring at the collection of casseroles neatly marked. The ladies from church made sure everything was properly stored and organized before they left.

"Are you sure we can't do more for you dear?" Agnes resisted as Scott tried to escort her to the door.

"No. You've done more than enough." Josephine put her arm around Agnes and moved her to the screen, where Scott stood with it wide open.

"You make sure to call me if you need anything."

"Of course."

Nothing looked appetizing. Josephine shut the door and glanced around the room. A plate of brownies sat alone on the counter. She made a single cup of coffee, grabbed a brownie, and proceeded to the living room and sunk down into her favorite chair. The sun penetrated the west facing window which illuminated the chair. The warmth reminded her of a summer day where she would lay out on the grass with aunt Edie. Then when they became too hot, Edie would make her ice green tea with a hint of cinnamon apple and they would sit drinking it on the porch swing where they watched the shadows grow longer and the sun finally give away to the evening.

A light knock on the door brought her back from her daydream. She heard a rustle of keys working the locks and knew it had to be Scott. Each had a key to the other's homes. There were no formalities between the two when it came to entering the other's home.

"Josephine, you awake?" Scott called out as he pulled the key from the deadbolt lock.

"In the living room." Josephine called back.

Scott's steps stopped behind her chair. A white bag was dangled in front of her nose. She inhaled and smiled.

"Rosemary lavender croissants?" she squealed.

"Mhmm." Scott dropped the bag into her lap then plopped himself into the overstuffed chair with Josephine.

She adjusted to make room for his well-built body, her legs went on top of his, her head against his shoulder. As awkward as the two of them looked squished in that chair, there was immediate comfort. Josephine breathed in his woodsy cologne mixed with the smells from his bakery.

"How ya holdin' up?" His hands held her legs on his lap.

"I brushed my teeth."

"Couldn't find the brush for your hair?"

Josephine glared at her long-time friend then rolled her eyes.

Scott laughed and gave her legs a squeeze. "At least you have priorities."

"I've worked hard on this bed head and I plan to continue working on it after I finish my coffee and one of these croissants." She opened the bag, pulled out a piece of the pastry, then shoved it in her mouth.

"Isn't that woman coming by soon to 'bless' the house?" Scott made air quotes as he emphasized bless.

"Damnit. I forgot. And I have no way of getting a hold of her to reschedule either. Gah!" she tossed her head back and closed her eyes. The last thing she wanted was company – except for Scott. He would let her sleep while he binged watched Netflix. She didn't have to pretend to be pleasant. She didn't have to play hostess. Scott would tuck her in and leave her alone.

Instead, she would have to tame her wild locks, put on a clean t-shirt, and pretend she was thrilled to have company. "You plan to stick around, right?" she pleaded.