Chapter 3

Josephine had just finished pulling her hair up into a ponytail when the doorbell rang. The head ache had subsided with the ibuprofen she took after she dressed.

"I'll get it." Scott wiped his hands off on a towel hanging from his belt as he went to the front door. "Afternoon, ma'am. Come on in. Josephine will be down in just a sec."

"Oh, thank you." Susan entered with a small bag in tow. Her long hair was pinned half up which revealed more of her face. She appeared to be around the same age as Edie. Shallow crows' feet were perched on the outer corners of her brown eyes.

"Can I offer you some coffee, tea, water?" Scott gestured towards the living room.

"I would take some Earl Grey if you have any."

"That was my aunt's favorite tea. We have it in abundance." Josephine appeared from behind Scott.

"I know. I thought it would be nice to drink it in honor of her." Susan sat down on the couch but remained on the edge of the cushion, her back straight.

"I'll take some too, if you don't mind Scott."

"Not at all. I'll bring it out with the scones." He started for the kitchen.

"You made scones?" Josephine was surprised. She did not think she had been upstairs long enough for him to do much. "Did I even have the stuff for those?"

"Well yeah. That's why I made them and not a cheesecake." He winked and went to fulfill his order.

"Nice young man." Susan chuckled.

"You might be saying something else before the evenings over." Josephine made herself comfortable in a chair across from the couch, her hands together in her lap.

"How are you holding up?" Susan sat the small bag on the table.

"I'm pretty tired. Thankfully, I have a few more days off before I have to go back to work."

"That's good. Where do you work?"

Josephine looked over towards the kitchen to see if Scott was coming back. She hated small talk. "I'm a clerk over at Odenville Market. Just a pit stop 'til I get everything figured out."

"Nothing wrong with an honest job. You planning to move?" Susan leaned forward.

"No. I actually want to buy the old book store in town and get it running again."

Susan sat up straight again. Her face seemed to fight between a smile and pucker. "So, you plan to stay in Odenville? Well, I'm sure your aunt would be so happy to know that you're staying put."

"Odenville is my home. I can't imagine living anywhere else." Josephine awkwardly smiled back.

Scott quickly put an end to the conversation when he returned with a tray holding three coffee mugs, a bear filled with honey, and a mason jar of milk.

"Wasn't quite sure how you took your tea, so I brought a few options." He handed the first mug to Susan then the other to Josephine. Finally, he plopped down with his mug and a scone. "So, do we get naked now or during the smudging."

Josephine swallowed more of the hot tea than she intended which led to a brief coughing fit. She shot a look to Scott who took a big bite from his scone, looking like the cat that just ate the canary.

Susan chuckled. "I'm sorry Scott. There won't be any nudity during this ritual. It really is just a sort of a blessing to leave the home and Josephine in a good space."

"So, I waxed for nothing?!" Scott acted hurt.

"I'm afraid so." Susan winked.

Josephine just stared in disbelief at her best friend. She knew better. The only one to blame was herself. This was going to be right up there with the time he asked Pastor Thomas if Eve was made from Adam's rib, did that make her technically his sister?