Chapter 3 - Troubled mornings

Viktor awoke only feeling even more tired and cold than he already was. He groaned as he sat up. Looking towards his alarm clock only made him sigh. It was only three in the morning.

He laid back down with a sigh. He was hoping he didn't have any work today, that way he could either help around town or do something productive. Viktor closed his eyes, hoping he could drift back into sleep, but only found himself restless.

This time, he pushed himself up and swung his legs over the edge of the bed, placing his feet on top of the black fluffy carpet. He stayed like that for a bit, zoning out and staring into space. He didn't think about much, he didn't have much to think about.

His previous "job" was already finished. He had done what he had been asked to and cleaned up after himself, taking all the necessary precautions. He didn't want to go to jail, but that was only because he would miss the comforts of his home, not much else.
He wouldn't miss his friends, the little family he had left, he would only miss his home.

"Meow."

And his cat. His head turned to the door to his bedroom and saw his cat stood there. He strode over and jumped up onto Viktor's bed. He reached and petted the black and tall cat, looking at his bright green eyes.
"What are you doing up Koji? It's early, especially for you. Normally you're fast asleep." Viktor spoke to the cat, not expecting a reply but instead got a purr from the black feline.

Viktor sighed again as he moved to lay back down, this time, Koji moving and lying next to him. Viktor continued to pet the cat as he let his mind wander.

□■□■□■□■□■□■□

Rose found herself already up. It was early, but she didn't mind. She had a busy day ahead of her and had lots of plans. After taking a quick shower she got dressed into the pair of clothes she had in her suitcase. Just a pair of black leggins, a white tank top and a pair of white trainers. Rose grabbed a grey sweatshirt but put it to the side to put on later. She packed her clothes and wet jacket into her suitcase lazily before reaching in and grabbing her roll of bandages.

She frowned as she sat on the bed. She didn't want to look at her wrists, she just bandaged them up gently. She had to take the last ones off since she had a shower, but she had to change them at some point. Rose didn't worry about the square bandage on her cheek since it was waterproof.
Once she had finished, she clamped the bandages down with a small safety pin and returned the spare ones inside the suitcase. Along with that, Rose packed other bits and pieces she had left around the room into the bag as well. These were things like her hair brush, tooth brush, tooth paste and other necessities. She made sure to leave the keys to her new house out, as she would obviously be needing them.

After gathering everything, Rose zipped up her suitcase and placed it by the door. She moved to the window and finally pulled open the beige curtains. A small amount of light made it's way into the room and with the curtains being opened, it allowed Rose to observe the street below her.
It had dried up since last night and instead the sun shone brightly from the pastel blue sky dotted with clouds. Rose felt relieved that she at least had one problem off of her mind, even though it was a minor thing such as the weather. Rose, as she grabbed the sweater to pull over herself, made a mental note to remember to buy an umbrella.

Grabbing her suitcase and keys - them being the new house keys and the hotel room key - and headed out the room, locking the door behind her.

The corridor, unlike the room, was a much darker shade of paint. It was like a blood red. It appealed to Rose but also made her frown slightly. She continued down the hall, also noticing how tidy it was. Rose made yet another mental note, however this one being to make sure she kept her house as tidy as possible. She was normally very messy but wanted a change.

Rose, after returning the key and thanking the lady at the front desk, she headed out down the street. This time, a smile sat on her lips. She would finally start a new life, away from most of her bad, old memories. Understanding they may still linger in her mind she continued smiling.

And that was because finally, in so many years, she actually felt free.

■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■

"I'll be back soon Koji, I'm just going out..." He reached over and gave Koji and small scatch behind the ears and was rewarded with a subtle purr. Viktor grabbed his keys that were left next to the cat and shoved them into his jacket pocket. "Hopefully I don't run into Sienna. Sure, she's a valuable tool, but she can definitely be a pain."
Koji gave a small 'meow' almost as a small goodbye as Viktor left his house and started heading towards the town square.