Chapter 2 - New Year New Beginnings

The rain hit the taxi's window and the woman sat in the back watched it with delight. She had always enjoyed the rain, it relaxed her in a way. In one of the many books she had read - or from a dictionary she had flicked through - she had found that the word for a person like her would be a pluviophile.
When she was younger, she endulged in a habit most children would do. She would observe two rain drops on the window next to her and watch them glide down - she had imagined it to be a race and would normally mentally bet on the one that started off slower than it's opponent. Her parents may have seen it as silly and a waste of time but she found it fun and exciting. In fact, she had even caught herself doing it throughout most of her life.

"So, what made you wanna move all the way out here?" The taxi driver asked his passenger. "Redwood Springs isn't really a small town, but it's a quiet one."
"I think that's exactly why I wanted to move out here. It's quiet, and I'm so tired of the bustling city life." The girl followed he reply with a faint sigh, almost to express her fatigue. She had been hard at work before she had catched the taxi.
"Ah, so you're one of those. A person looking for an escape almost. Well I've known a few others like you - and my dear, they never regretted their decision."
'That's good news I guess.' The girl thought to herself as she reached into her jeans' pocket and pulled out her phone. She was careful not to drop it as she didn't have a cover for it. The girl would be sure to buy one when she had the chance. She unlocked her phone entering a simple passcode before checking her messages. One from one of her older brothers - that being Rhys - and two from her little sister.
Her brother's text simply said; 'Good job sis', that makes two of us. Mum's not happy.'
The text made her smile. Her brother always made her laugh, even if he wasn't with her. She loved him so much and admired him deeply. The rest of her family however never got along with the two of them as much.
Moving onto her sister's message she found herself frowning when she read it.
'Thank God you're gone, at least now I get the bigger room.'

'What a spoiled brat.' The girl had thought. She knew she was her sister, well half-sister, but even so, she felt no love for her. She may be younger than her, but the girl thought that was no excuse for her behaviour.
"Oh, yes, I forgot to ask your name." The driver perked up, probably noticing the sadness on her face in the mirror. "It's okay if you don't want to say."
"It's... Rose."
"What a pretty name. I have a granddaughter named Rose. She's really sweet, just like you."
"She sounds wonderful. How old is she?"
"She's 8 now. They grow so fast, eh?"
"Yes, I suppose they do."

This was nothing more than idle chit chat, or as some may say "small talk". Rose wasn't fond of it, but at least it could distract her from her sister's message. '"Thank God"? Did she really hate me that much?'

"Miss. Rose, it seems we have arrived. Will this be a good place to drop you off?" Rose checked out the window, seeing past the rain she spotted a small pub and a hotel next door.
"Yes, this is good thank you." She reached into her bag and pulled out her purse. She didn't have to worry about being low on money before, but now being on her own she'd have to find a way to get some.

Paying the driver she grabbed her suitcase and pulled her jacket's hood over her head. "Thank you Sir. You've been very kind."
"No, thank you Miss. Rose." The driver said turning to give her a smile. "Enjoy your life in Redwood Springs."
"I will. Thank you." And with that she opened the taxi door.

She jumped out with ease, closing the door behind her and began dragging her suitcase across the concrete path. She waved at the driver as he drove away before turning and making her way towards the hotel. She hoped she could buy a room for the night, but only because she didn't feel like walking all the way to her new house. At least not in the pouring rain.

■□■□■□■□■□■□■

"Back already are you Viktor?"
"Hm?" The man snapped out of his small trance before turning to the person stood next to him. It was none other than Harvey Baker, a good friend of Viktor's.

Viktor put on a fake smile before gesturing at the seat opposite him. "Yeah, turns out Miss. Addison didn't want any help with repairs and redecorating, her son came and did it for me."
"Oh, that was nice of him. How is he by the way? Did you see him?"
"No, turns out he went out with a two of his friends. Apparently no one has seen them since."
"Well, hopefully they're okay. A few people have gone missing this week, it's all over the news."
"I know I saw it this morning." Viktor's gaze drifted away to the window. He saw a taxi pull up. A girl, clutching a suitcase and a jacket, jumped out.

Shutting the door behind her she hastily made her way under cover, trying not to get hit by much rain. She turned and waved to the driver as the taxi pulled away and made it's way down the road. Viktor couldn't help but watch the girl intently. She was rather thin and tall. Viktor couldn't make out many of her features with her hood up.

She turned and went inside the hotel. Maybe she was a tourist. Viktor shook his head. "Who want to visit this place?" He thought to himself.
"You okay Viktor?" Harvey asked
"Yeah... Yeah, I'm fine. Just a bit tired. I'll be heading home now." Viktor gripped the wooden table tightly, using it as a support to push himself up. He grabbed his jacket, which rested on the back of his chair, and put it on. He didn't bother to zip it up.
"Alright. Be careful Viktor. I'll see you around, yeah?" Harvey turned to look at him but found Viktor was already making his way out of the pub.

"I wonder if he's okay? He's been acting weird lately. I'll have to ask Sophie, she'll know what's wrong with him."

Viktor stood outside the pub. He didn't move immediately. He turned to the hotel and saw the same girl from earlier leave and start walking his way. He could tell she wasn't moving to him, so Viktor started walking the way she was coming from. Since that was the direction of where his house was.
As they passed, he caught a glimpse of her face. She had a few freckles dotted along her nose. On her left cheek she had a plaster. "How did she get that?"

Nothing happened after they passed, apart from Rose glancing back at Viktor. They kept walking in the directions they were going. Both hoping to get to their destinations safely on that cold rainy night.