Chapter 12

Ben (Continued)

The pack had gone all out decorating the main street with thousands of twinkling lights that wound through town and the woods to the large open field a ways from the house.  The lights were draped along tall poles, creating a lit border around the field.  Hay bales were placed everywhere for seating and three huge tables were covered in food.  A random mix of music played softly in the background and the children were having a ball running around with sparklers.  We loved a good party regardless but Mark's birthday was always a fun celebration.  It was practically a holiday around here. 

Our native friends had arrived about an hour ago with arms full of gifts for the youngsters.  There were headbands and child sized bows with blunt arrows, necklaces and bracelets made from animal bone and sweet treats for everyone to munch on.   Our friends knew the children adored the "traditional" Indian gifts and made special efforts to make the children clap in delight every year.  A few of our friends from other packs had also made the trip and brought even more gifts for the children.  Between the sugar, the toys, and the sparklers the children had reached an earsplitting noise level and were being corralled by various adults.  It didn't matter if the adult was their parent, every child knew to respond to the adults and they eventually brought it down to only a minor earsplitting level that was more bearable.  The natives, the other wolves and our pack intermingled enthusiastically.  They knew all about us of course and it was fun having company that we didn't have to be so careful around.  Of course no one was wrestling in wolf form or howling through the forest since Laney was here but no one minded and she was constantly approached by someone wanting to say hello. 

 I draped my arm around Laney's shoulders, loving the way she leaned into me after a particularly large group of people had cornered us to shake her hand and ask how she was enjoying staying here.  She had changed into a pair of crisp white slacks with a red draping shirt.  Jenna had curled her hair for her and it fell in soft waves down to her shoulders.  Some of it had been pulled back and was pinned with a red flower clip.  She was so beautiful it hurt.  We walked around chatting with various people and enjoying the antics of the children and the warm clear evening. 

A few hours later the sun was setting and it was time for the gifts.  As a group we piled around Mark and Jenna eager to see if he would like the gift we had decided on.  He always enjoyed his gifts but we took special pride in coming up with a meaningful one every year.  There was not a single possession he could possibly want that we couldn't buy so we didn't bother.  He spent all year giving us his love, protection, and devotion and coming up with a personal gift each year was one of the ways we showed him how much his leadership meant to us.  He looked at all of our eager faces and ripped into the package.  We had taken a group photo of all of us which had taken a crazy level of effort and then we had spent a few weeks passing around a brown leather journal and adding candid photos and writing personal messages to Mark.  He had nearly caught us with the journal a few times but we had managed to evade him.  He cracked open the cover of the journal and flipped through the pages, seeing all of our messages.  With tears in his eyes he thanked us heartily and we cheered. 

Then it was time for Jenna's gift.  I leaned down and whispered in Laney's ear.  "Jenna always gives him a gag gift to keep him humble after we inflate his ego to monstrous proportions.  Last year she gave him man-gerie" 

"manda who?" 

"Lingerie in his size.  She had to have it special made. It was a black lace corset thing with a matching thong I think.  It was supposed to match his hair."

Laney giggled and leaned forward a bit to get a better look at the box in Jenna's hand, surely nothing could top a specially made lingerie set. 

Jenna, stunning in a sleeveless blue silk dress sauntered up to Mark with a small box held behind her back.  "I want you to promise me a 30 second head start."