1.2

Chapter 2: New case

The meeting went by smoothly. Its main purpose was to introduce the members to each other, distribute the responsibilities, and establish the different positions in the team.

Following that, Director Bao handed Bai Yutang thick piles of documents. "These are the major cases that have yet to be solved in last span of 10 years, so take this opportunity to send all of these wretches that are still alive into prison." He finished and turned around to leave, and before exiting through the door he made sure to glower at both Zhan Zhao and Bai Yutang deeply. "The two of you...Stop arguing and fighting all the time, make effort to work together, you hear me!" Then he departed, leaving behind Zhan Zhao and Bai Yutang with cold sweat behind their necks.

Because Bao Zheng had left, the previously serious atmosphere in the office was immediately replaced with comfort and ease. Everyone in the field had been familiar with each other for a very long time, so now that they are working in the same office, they couldn't help but gather to chatter and catch up.

Bai Yutang waved his arm and ordered, "Everyone gather your stuff for a little bit, then assemble in the meeting room in half an hour!" He threw a look over at Zhan Zhao, a cue for "Go inside my office so we can talk." Then, they both went inside the office.

The structure of S.C.I is not complicated, as it only contained one lobby, two offices, and one meeting room that has been modernized.

Inside the lobby were standard work desks that each belonged to one team member. Because police work requires frequent trips outside, so there weren't much personal belongings around.

Two offices--Bai Yutang and Zhan Zhao each had one of their own.

Bai Yutang's room is simple, and to his interests he had it developed into a refined and minimalistic style.

The room filled with the most properties was Zhan Zhao's. Because of his workaholic tendencies, the room accommodated several shelves filled with books and documents, with the majority of them stuffed into colorful containers. 

Lu Fang came over, only to peek his head out for a split second then left in a hurry. Han Zhang, who was a confidential information provider, was nowhere to be found.

As for Gongsun Ce, he and a few other employees sat in the coroner's office and coexisted in happiness. The room was right next to S.C.I's main lobby, and the equipments in here contained only the best.

In reality, the seventeenth floor used to be a giant coroner's office, thus it became the No Man's Land for everyone. When Zhao Hu came to this place, the first thing that he made sure to do was to burn some incense to offer to Bodhisattva to chase away the horrific miasma of the place. Seeing this, a feeling of wickedness came to Gongsun Ce, so he decided to pull him over and tell him about the ten scariest paranormal stories that had taken place in the coroner's office. The horror-stricken Zhao Hu had to cover his ears while pleading, "Big brother, please spare me!!" (W: LMAO...Poor guy)

In the Captain's office, Zhan Zhao insouciantly sat with his legs cross on the chair in front of the working table. His head lifted up to look at Bai Yutang across from him, wearing a smile without smiling.

"You dead cat, what are you looking at!" Years of experience in combat is letting him know that Zhan Zhao's expression right now means something, and he needs to pay special attention.

"No, no." Zhan Zhao shrugged. "I'm just listening to Captain Bai's instruction."

An agitated expression spread across Bai Yutang's face. "Don't you pull that experienced and witty attitude on me, and don't make me lose face in front of the other members!"

"No problem! But whenever you need me to accompany you outside, you must listen to me in all business matters, alright." Zhan Zhao offered a condition.

"Hahhhh...Fine, agreed." Bai Yutang sighed as he nodded his head. He then pushed the pile of thick documents over to Zhan Zhao. "This is for the expert!"

"Based on what?" Zhan Zhao angrily retorted, holding half of the pile and pushing the documents back to Bai Yutang. "Each person takes a half!"

Bai Yutang became defensive, glaring at the other. "You know fully well that I hate looking over these things."

Zhan Zhao glared back. "This is the leader's responsibility. You better find a few cases that are low in difficulty, solve two first, or the faces of S.C.I will not be saved, oh great Detective Bai!"

Bai Yutang's expression was filled with incredulity. "Hey, do you know what it means for a case that has not been solved, you think it can be easily solved by just saying so? You're wrong..." Bai Yu Tang scanned Zhan Zhao up and down, then he snickered. "Xiao Mao (1),  you certainly are not fit for this...Ah! I understand. So the actual reason is that I am the main captain while you're merely the vice-captain, Doctor Zhan."

Zhan Zhao isn't going to hold back anymore, and he threw the other half of the documents right in front of Bai Yutang. "Hmmph! You arrogant human, why don't you look over all of these by yourself!"

"You...Very good!" Bai Yutang heavily panted. "Pick randomly, whoever picks whatever will do that. They have to be solved either way, so why does it matter?" He carelessly took out a random few packets in the pile of documents. "Here, picked..." (W: ...Are you sure this is the attitude you guys should be having...?)

Before he could finish speaking, he was interrupted by several knocks on the door. He raised his head. 

There stood Gongsun Ce, leaning against the doorway, hand holding a folder of documents. "Put on hold the past cases for a bit, I already have a case right here."

Bai Yutang folded his arms. "Alright...Call over the members to gather up in the meeting room."

Astonishment displayed on Gongsun Ce's face. "Aren't you going to hear a little synopsis about it first?"

Bai Yutang's face wore an underlying smile. "No need no need, if it weren't to have any value, why would the great Gongsun tell us about it?"

Gongsun Ce was pleased, and he headed towards the direction of the meeting room. Zhan Zhao in the back mumbled to himself, "All you know to do is to kiss up to others, you scheming mouse!" 

Bai Yutang sneezed loudly as he went on his way. 

(1) Xiao Mao - Means "Little Cat"/"Kitty." Zhan Zhao's nickname .