1.4 - 1.7

Chapter 4: The Funeral Home

In front of the S City funeral home's entrance parked a silver-white Spyker C8, and despite there not being many pedestrians around, the flashy and sort of intimidating sports car caught a great number of attention.

Bai Yutang, wearing his Armani gray coat and his Gucci sunglasses, stepped out of the car. If the onlookers had to guess, they would guess that he was a celebrity or a model, and would never imagine that he was merely a police officer.

Zhan Zhao reluctantly stepped out of the car as well. "Does anyone ever complain about you?"

"Complain what?" Bai Yutang took off his sunglasses and entered the building.

"You drive in and out of the police department with a sports car worth at least 400,000 USD. I don't believe that no one has ever complained about you."

"This car was a gift from my older brother, bought with legal money!" Bai Yutang shrugged. "I like this car! It can be as fast as the speed of sound, it's the best car to chase criminals with!" (...Really now?)

"Ah, what kind of police officer would use a Spyker C8 worth more than $400,000 just to catch criminals? Certainly people like you can never be determined as crazy or sane!"

"Alright cat, ever since birth up until now, you are always trying to prove that I am not a normal person." Bai Yutang observed the halls of the funeral home, and nonchalantly said, "However, your great method of psychological reasoning does not work on me!"

"Huh." Zhan Zhao put one hand in his trouser's pocket. "It doesn't matter if you are unwilling to admit to it. Either way, my twenty years of experience is enough to successfully prove that you have paranoia, you are antisocial, you have temper issues, you like to unnecessarily boast, you are narcissistic, and, you also have eccentric personality disorder (1)!"

"If I were to have eccentric personality disorder..." Bai Yutang pointed towards the morgue in the funeral home. "I'd be the one that engraved the numbers on those corpses in there, not a police officer that is investigating out here."

"As an police investigator, certainly your abilities must be seen as special," A person emerged from inside the morgue and cutted in.

Zhan Zhao and Bai Yutang turned to look at the person who had just spoken. It was a thin man that was around 30 years old. The dim light in the funeral home reflected on his pale face, making his face look even more ominous.

"My name is Chen Hao, are you two police officers?" The man extended a hand in greeting.

"Ah...Hello." Bai Yutang grabbed the other man's hand in return, while his other hand reached inside his pocket to pull out a police ID. "Bai Yutang. And he is Zhan Zhao."

"Gongsun had already told me about your intentions for being here." After shaking hands with Zhan Zhao, Chen Hao turned to lead them into the morgue. "I think you guys should take a look at this first."

Zhan Zhao and Bai Yutang threw a look at one another and followed Chen Hao into the morgue.

In the morgue laid several corpses covered by white cotton sheets. There was only one corpse that was uncovered, and indeed Chen Hao was putting makeup on for the corpse.

"This is a corpse that was sent in this morning, Look here." Chen Hao turned the head of the body, and there was an engraved "39" behind the ear.

"Ah! Another one!" Bai Yutang looked up at Zhan Zhao.

Zhan Zhao looked down and studied the number carefully. "It doesn't look like it was tattooed on by hand."

"Huh?" Bai Yutang also downed down upon hearing that, only to see that the blue number was uncannily neat, done in the Times New Roman font.