Chapter 6 - The Reason

The last thing I smelled was that delicious chicken quesadilla, but it turned out to be mixed with peanut butter, so I took out the word 'delicious'. The second bite didn't even make it to my stomach because the symptom already got me.

Now, it was completely different smell—a strong smell of disinfectant with a bit of alcohol. Hospital. I didn't know which one I liked better though.

The itch on my face and skin was reduced and I felt better. I didn't know how long I passed out and what happened during my blackout. When I opened my eyes, the high-intensity of the sunlight almost blinded me. It was warm and I could tell it was already morning.

When I could finally see clearly, I scanned the room where I was put in. Someone was sitting in the corner, reading the newspaper. When he moved it away, I saw Uncle Luke's face slackened. His corner lips formed a little smile and produced a slight gasp when I tried to move my body.

"The doctor said you have to get a good rest," he said after putting the newspaper and pulled a chair to the side of my bed.

"Uncle Luke, I—"

"Rest, Calista," he cut.

Ah, even when I'm like this his nature doesn't change. I was too tired to argue, but I just wanted to say that I was sorry. Whoever said 'everyone gets what they deserve' was definitely right. I didn't listen to my uncle when he didn't allow me to go, but I just went anyway. Now, look what you get, so-called rebel!

I was wondering what Uncle Luke was thinking. Maybe he already planned a punishment for me for not listening to him and going out with an Easton. Maybe not just a punishment. I wouldn't be surprised if he already found me a foster home.

"Grant told me what happened." After a silence, one of us finally spoke—and of course, it had to be Uncle Luke. "You and your friends were looking for books. You stopped to buy some food without knowing that it contained peanuts. It was a good thing that Grant was around. It could be worse."

What?

"Then he called me, telling me that you collapsed," he continued. "I was still at the office, but I immediately rushed here. I'm glad that you're okay."

I was focusing on Uncle Luke's earlier sentences that I didn't realize he was saying a sweet thing to me.

Where does the 'watched a basketball game with Chad Easton' part? And the most crucial 'Chad Easton was the one who bought the peanuts-contained food' part?

"Callie?" His voice surprised me. "Is something wrong? Do I need to call the doctor?"

"No. I'm... I'm fine," I replied. I'm not. Absolutely not. Either going out with Chad was completely a dream that only existed in my head, or Grant didn't tell him about it at all.

A few moments later, the door was opened slowly. Grant showed up. Speak of the devil...

"Sir. The doctor wants to have a word with you," he said.

Uncle Luke nodded and went out. I just realized that he was still wearing the same clothes as the last time I saw him—yesterday morning, when he was arguing with Margot over the phone. It meant he didn't come home since Grant broke the news to him.

The lie.

Grant sat on the chair that was occupied by my uncle before. His face showed no emotion, but his lips were starting to move. "How are you feeling?" He asked tonelessly.

"Better," I replied shortly. I fixed my position several times, finding the most comfortable one. "Uh... Thank you for last night."

He nodded once.