Chapter 7 - Trouble In Paradise

Macero Owner Luke Mercer's Girlfriend Was Found Dead: Trouble In Paradise?

That was the big headline I saw on the local newspaper today. At least there were four people whom I saw holding it on the way to school. Grant, who always read the newspaper every morning, wasn't seen reading one before driving me to school. But, he really did listen to my warning two days ago as he didn't open the car door for me anymore.

Or, he was just upset.

Uncle Luke was not in the dining room this morning. Seeing Grant finishing his breakfast in great speed without touching the newspaper Una had already prepared, made me call off my intention to ask where my uncle was. His girlfriend just died. I thought he might need some time alone before going to her funeral at noon.

Grant stopped the car in front of my school, dropped me, and just departed without saying anything. It was not like he had to talk to me every time he dropped me off at school, but at least, someone had to say something about last night.

When I came to the class, Emma and Lucy were discussing something. That newspaper was on the table, and I knew what the discussion was without having to hear it first.

"Callie, this is horrible!" exclaimed Emma while showing the newspaper as soon as she saw me.

"Em, she just recovered from her allergy, don't talk about anything else!" warned Lucy. Oh, they knew. It meant either Uncle Luke or Grant told the school that I was sick yesterday. "How are you doing?"

"I feel a lot better, even though it's still itchy sometimes," I replied.

"That's great!" Emma clapped once. "Now, can we get back to this 'trouble in paradise'?"

"Emma!" Lucy hit Emma on the back, and that was a serious hit. "Can you at least feel sorry for Callie?"

I wouldn't blame Emma. Despite her boyish appearance, she really liked gossips and scandalous things. If you wanted to know about Hollywood gossips, don't bother watching E! Channel because Emma got you covered. She could even start her own gossip and entertainment show.

"I'm just bored with recent gossips. This one is good," said Emma. She pouted when Lucy took the newspaper from her, crumpled it, and threw it to the trash bin. "Hey, I bought it with money, not leaves!"

"It's okay, guys," I sighed. I should come between them or their pointless argument would last until the school was over.

"Have you ever met that woman? Margot Dean?" asked Lucy.

"Just once. It was not a good meeting. My uncle was in a bad mood and she was really annoying," I answered. "Oh, great, now I'm mocking a dead person."

"How is your uncle?" Emma asked.

How is my uncle? That was the question of the day. I hadn't met him yet today though, but if no one wanted—or could—answer it, I might answer it myself.

He is fine.

Yeah, he was absolutely, strangely fine. Last night after the short questioning, the man named Roman let us to get in. Una, Tracy, and Frieda were waiting in the lobby. They looked really worried and frightened to see those police cars near our house. They made a good decision not to come there and be all curious for what happened.

"Go inside," told Uncle Luke after parking the car in front of the lobby.

"But—"

"Inside," he emphasized. "You need to rest. I can handle this." He looked at the maids. "Three of you wait inside too. Nobody gets out, do you understand?"