Chapter Four

Nayan and Sumitra rushed Khushi to the hospital immediately. She was put into the ICU and the doctors worked away. Nayan called Gaurav, telling him of the accident, and Gaurav rushed to the hospital immediately. 

"How is she," Gaurav asked as he came running in.

"I-I-I," but Nayan couldn't speak. He broke down immediately and Sumitra went over to him, trying to calm him down, but she broke down as well.

Time passed away very slowly. From seconds to a minute, minutes to an hour, and an hour to hours. Gaurav had called Sameer and had told him about the accident and his whole family came running in.

"How is she," Sameer asked as he and his family came in.

"We don't know," Gaurav said.

Sameer went over to Nayan and helped him to control himself.

"We have to stay strong," Sameer said, but Nayan couldn't keep himself stable.

Sumitra cried away and Mona tried to comfort her.

"Auntyji, please don't cry," Mona said, but it was no use.

*~*

It was late into the night, when Sameer got a call.

"Hello?" He paused and his eyes slightly widened. "No, we're not at home. Actually..." and he told them the whole story. He told the person how they were here at the hospital and everyone looked at him in confusion.

"Who was that," Gaurav asked as Sameer hung up.

Just as Sameer was about to reply, the light above the ICU turned off and the doctor came out.

"Doctor,” Nayan said as he rushed over to him. “How is she, how is my daughter?"

"Is my daughter okay," Sumitra asked, tearing away.

"She's currently being prepared for her operation," the doctor said. "But there are some problems."

"What," Sameer said.

"What kinds of problems," Nayan asked.

Everyone closed in around the doctor as he spoke.

"Because the rods fell down directly onto her, she has been burned severely."

Everyone gasped and the doctor continued.

"They are really severe and deep. We'll start operating on her once my team and I have sorted things out. If all goes well, then within time she will heal physically, so long as she is treated well. But...."

"But what doctor," Abhay asked.

The doctor took a moment and hesitated, but he eventually spoke.

“Not only was her body harmed... but her face as well."

"What," Abhay questioned. 

"I'm sorry to say this to you, but the left side of your fiance's face got burned in the accident."

Nayan and Sumitra couldn't believe what they were hearing, Sumitra gripping onto her husband for balance.

"No… that can’t be," Sumitra exclaimed.

"I'm sorry, but it’s the truth. However the burns on her faces aren't as deep as the ones on her body. As I said, if she treats it well, then it won't be a problem. In fact, once it's been healed, she can do plastic surgery, should she wish to."

Nayan and Sumitra broke down again and the doctor allowed them to see her, but from a far distance. They went in and their eyes widened from what the saw. One side of Khushi's face was burned, covered in gauze, the other side unharmed. Sumitra broke into tears while Nayan was still in shock.