The Prince's Chambers

※ I forgot it was Eins' birthday on January 1st...

"What's the point? It's just another day. And it's just another year."

"But it's a new one."

In the carriage ride back to the palace, Eins von Glanzreich and his (childhood best friend) High Steward Ernst Rosenberg make small talk of the eve. The party that evening wasn't a political one- much to the Crown Prince's dismay. It was a mere celebration of the beginning of another year. And in the Count's perspective; a new year means more paperwork to deal with (though it did not bother him in the slightest).

In spite of the entire trip being quiet to and back, the two made comments and bickered for a fleeting moment. And in that small talk, the topic of 'New Year' came up. Since it was the theme for the party earlier, Eins had not fully enjoyed the social function but nonetheless endured it until the very end. The dark-haired prince hadn't quite grasped the essence of New Year's Day- aside from the fact that it was the day he was born.

"It is only an occasion where I age and grow to be more mature. Is that something to hold a celebration for?"

"At least they remember your birthday," Ernst chuckles.

New Year's Day- or Eve, I should say- is a day celebrated like how every other country commemorates it. It is a special day that signifies a new year.

"Happy Birthday, Eins."
The night seemed longer than it was supposed to be. Later on, Eins had proceeded into his chambers, once again locking the door. He was cooped up inside for the next two days. This was normal but it perturbed Ernst nonetheless. The next day, he still hasn't come out. There was no sound coming from the room except for incoherent mutters and pen scratching against parchment. Eins could have been sick those days for all they know but Ernst knew that's wasn't the case. Eins is working hard. He's busy in there.

Ernst sighs. "I will make you king, Eins."

(happy ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ new ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ year)

"Your Highness? You've been in there for almost a week. Might I suggest you come out?"

It was Ernst's twentieth attempt at trying to get the prince out of his chambers. His valiant efforts were in vain, still. Releasing a sigh, Ernst uses his last resort- a spare key. All this time that he had one, he did not bother to use it as to not actually disturb his highness. The white-haired fellow simply wants Eins to come out and get a good stretch or whatsoever. But since Prince Eins won't be coming out so soon, Ernst will simply have to go in.

"I pray his highness would forgive me for doing this..."

He inserts the key and prepares to see the worst. But to his surprise, it wasn't that bad. Why it's only the same old Eins, writing on paper non-stop. How surprising that the creaking of the door did not distract the prince. Ah, and yes, more incoherent mumbling. Ernst can clearly hear the words under Eins' breath. The crown prince spoke softly but his words were still picked up by the Count's sharp hearing.

"I had thought about it once...but I didn't think you actually kept a diary, Eins."

The blue-eyed prince froze in his seat.

"Ernst..."

"Y-Yes, your highness?"

"Get out."

"Of course."

The End. (hehe sorry)

Word Count: 590

(A/N): Nothing has been edited or changed from this part. Everything is as exactly as Kitatani has wrote it. I'm grateful for the chance to have written this and continued it!