Chapter 7 - The Inhabitants of Cabin 4

Miles stood frozen, gaze fixed on his surroundings. The sand, the breeze, the beach, the palm trees. Even the building, which should have looked odd in this sort of place, but did not. It just had a familiar feeling, not unlike summer camp. Miles looked down. He felt awkward wearing shoes in the sand, and had a strange urge to go and jump in the water. It was almost like a vacation area. It would explain how the whole place was rounded off and guarded by the trees.

"Caspar, fetch Ian for me," Lancaster spoke, indicating that the moments given to Miles for admiration of the place were over.

"Yes, sir," replied Caspar before teleporting away. Miles noticed an blue flick of something emitting out from the area that used to be occupied by his new friend.

"Probably going to end up on the bottom of the ocean," Dawn shook his head, smirked, and walked off.

Dr. Lancaster put a hand on Miles' shoulder and said, "We're glad to have you here, Miles. You'll learn tons of useful stuff and be prepared for anything that might happen. This whole place was made for you and other kids like you. So let me know if there's anything you need. Ian will be along shortly to show you to your room and answer any questions you have about the academy. You'll sign up for classes soon. I have a feeling you'll do great things here, Miles." And with that he walked away. Miles was getting the odd feeling that he was joining a gang or something, but put that thought away. The people here were like him, just as confused. They had strange powers too.

Just when Miles was starting to feel awkward standing by himself, a tall guy with glasses and curly hair walks up.

"So you're the new kid, yeah?" the boy said.

"Uh... yeah," replied Miles, he didn't know what to think of this guy. "That's me, the new kid."

"Got a name, new kid?" he asked, looking Miles down from head to toe.

"Miles."

The guy nodded, "Nice to meet you, Miles. I'm Ian. You'll be staying in Cabin 4." As if that meant anything to Miles.

"Cabin 4?" Miles repeated, waiting for Ken to continue.

Ian pointed to a cabin that was to the left of the academy building, up against the bordering trees. To it's left were three more cabins. Then, all the way to the right of the academy building, were four more cabins. "It's the fourth one on the left. We call them by numbers. Cabins 1 and 2 are for the staff here. Cabin 3 is for student administration, like me. Cabins 5 and 6 are female staff and 7 and 8 are the girl's cabins. Each cabin holds roughly four people."

Miles nodded, getting a feel for how everything was laid out, but something Ken had said had gotten him thinking. "Student administration?"

"Yeah, basically just the kids that have been here for a minute or at least know their way around and can show new recruits how everything works."

"So like, Caspar and Dawn?"

"No, but Caspar and Dawn were the first two recruited. Been in more sticky situations than anyone else. Actually, no one here has had much experience outside the Fandomania except them two," explained Ken. They were asked to join student administration, but they declined. Caspar's too, uh, wild to be in any type of leadership position, anyway. So instead, they're on Dr. Lancaster's field team."

Ian stuck his hand out, signalling the end of the conversation, "Nice to have you here, Miles. Caspar is moving whatever you brought into your cabin as we speak. I'm in Cabin 3 if you need me."

Miles nodded and headed in the direction of Cabin 4. His head hurt. He had never moved anywhere before, never really lived away from home. So this was a big step. His whole life had changed, it was still changing. Miles couldn't stop it, so he'd just better adjust.

"Oy!" Caspar was ahead, in front of the cabin, waving at him. Beside him stood a Canadian boy and an African American, who was grinning. Miles walked over to them.

"This is Jason, your bunk-mate," said Caspar, pointing to the Canadian boy, who smiled at Miles. "And this is Kane, my bunk-mate. We're the inhabitants of Cabin 4."

Miles peered in the open door of the cabin. It was all wooden, the doors, the bunks, everything. Just like summer camp. The two bunks were on lined up on either side of the cabin, leaving an open space in the middle that contained a couple chairs around a small table that held a pack of cards. To the sides of the door, there were other doors leading to closets. At the back of the cabin, another door led into a decently sized bathroom. Overall, it wasn't bad. Miles nodded to the other guys, indicating his approval. Caspar grinned and said, "We have our fourth man."

"Does that mean I'll have a teammate in basketball?" asked Jason, looking Miles up and down, perhaps trying to diagnose his skill level.

"Sure does, but it doesn't mean you're gonna win," replied Kane, winking at Caspar, who did a shooting motion with his arms.

Caspar put his arm on Miles' shoulder, "Kane and I are going to the shooting range for a bit. Jason can help you set up camp here. You fetch me if you need anything, yeah?"

Miles nodded and Caspar and Kane walked off.

"You'll get used to them two," Jason said when they were out of ear-shot. "They're both great guys, and really loyal friends."

"So, how many kids are actually here?" Miles asked. It was a question that he had been wanting to ask for awhile.

"Well, the Doc's still recruiting best he can. There aren't that many kids here at the moment. I'll try listing them for 'ya. You've met Caspar and Dawn, the first two recruits. They're literally made for each other, if you ask me. You'll never get bored if Caspar and Dawn are in a room together. Kane is a tad bit intimidating at times, but he's a softy deep down. Don't get him angry though, Caspar's the only one who can calm him. I'm guessing you met Ian, he's real nice. There's Lilly Spring, she's Fandomania's own cheerleader. And then a couple more guys and girls that I haven't had to courage to introduce myself to."

Miles nodded, going through all the names in his head. "And these kids, they all have powers like me?"

"Every single one of them."

Fandomania
Chapter 7 - The Inhabitants of Cabin 4
April 12, 2019
🅙🅞🅢🅗 🅐🅛🅑🅡🅘🅖🅗🅣