TAKE YOUR "VIBES" AND LEAVE

Nova returned home in the truck from Radioshack, leaning back in her seat and covering her eyes with her hands. She stayed in place long after killing the engine, knowing she needed a minute to herself to unwind. To think. For a fleeting moment, she allowed herself time to think without consequence.

When she finally hopped out of the truck, she noticed another car in the driveway and swore when she knew who it belonged to, running inside to see June Peters and Steve Harrington holding a conversation.

"Um, I'm home," Nova greeted, feeling a little out of place with the Harrington boy casually hanging out in her living room.

"Hi, sweetie," June responded, approaching her daughter and greeting her with a kiss on the cheek. "Your friend Steve was just asking about you. I didn't think you were friends after that, um, slap you gave him, but he drove you home last night, I heard."

"He did," she confirmed.

"He came to check up on you! How sweet."

"Serving up hot gossip?" she teased, though there was hardly a teasing tone to her voice.

"Talk to him, Nova," she coaxed. "He's a friend and he seems worried."

"Um, okay." She then noticed June's under-eye bags. "Mom, you can go to bed."

"I'm fine, baby."

"Go to bed," she ordered quietly. "You need to take care of yourself. Let me talk to Steve and then I'll make something for dinner, okay? If you get hungry, it'll be in the fridge."

"You shouldn't need-"

"Take a nap."

June nodded and hesitantly entered the bedroom she shared with her husband for the first time since his disappearance, closing the door behind her.

"Hey, Steve," Nova greeted awkwardly, moving to sit across from him in the living room. "What's up with the house call?"

"You seemed a little freaked out when I dropped you off last night," he responded. "I wanted to check up on you."

"Check up on Nancy," she urged. "She's just as freaked out about Barb."

"Are you worried about your dad?" he asked.

"Listen, I appreciate you checking up on me, but I did just slap you yesterday. I'd say our relationship hasn't reached the late-night talks stage."

"It's not that late," he justified.

"Okay, but you didn't even know where I lived yesterday and now you're making house calls," she said. "I appreciate the concern, I do. It's actually really nice, but I'm concerned now. What exactly do you want to hear?"

"I'm worried about you."

"Why?"

"I don't know!" he replied in exasperation. "Maybe I'm just trying to be a nice person."

She sighed and slumped in her seat. "Barb, Will, and my dad are missing. No one's gone missing before. Something's happening. Of course, I'm not doing great, dude."

"It's just a coincidence," he dismissed.

"Nothing's a coincidence, Steve Harrington." She tapped her foot anxiously. "I'm losing my marbles, dude."

"Wanna, you know, confide in me?" he asked, trying to extend any offer of help. "I'm not the worst guy to go to."

A part of her was amused he was trying, another part grateful, and another just wishing he would leave already. "No thanks."

"I'm not terrible company."

"I never claimed you were. I just don't trust you."

"What is there not to trust?"