forty-four ☆ last year of high school

narrator's pov:

summer vacation was one week away, and chloe couldn't be happier. her and zach finally have a label, everybody is excited for their future, and school is almost over.

"so, what's it like at southville?" chloe asked zach over facetime.

"i absolutely hate it here. i miss eastford, and being only one town away from you," zach whined, "plus, kay and her friends hate me and are making my life miserable."

"why don't you just transfer back to eastford? after all, you're still in the same district," chloe suggested.

"wait, that's a good idea," zach said.

"oh my gosh, please transfer back! i miss you," chloe said.

"i promise i'll make it work," zach declared, "alright, i'm going to talk to my parents about it. i gotta go, i love you, chloe."

"i love you too, zach," chloe replied, hanging up.

-

six days later...

in honor of the last day of school, the group had a campfire at chloe's house.

"are you guys excited for senior year?" sadie asked.

"yeah, but i'm not excited for after senior year. i don't even know what college i want to go to," lake whined.

"well, wherever you go, i want to go with you," daniel remarked.

everybody laughed, admiring how perfect lake and daniel are together.

"i think this is the happiest i've ever been," chloe declared, "i'm so thankful for all of you."

"we're thankful for you too, chloe," corbyn replied.

"i know, but isn't it crazy how just nine months ago we hated each other because we went to different schools?" chloe asked.

"yeah, and if it weren't for zach's lack of intelligence, we wouldn't all be here right now," jonah chuckled, "it's a good thing you texted the wrong number."

"speaking of, i have an announcement," zach declared, standing up.

all eyes went to zach.

"i've been thinking about it, and i really want to go back to eastford. southville high just isn't where i belong," zach started, "so, my parents and i emailed the superintendent, and he just got back to me this morning. they said i can transfer back to eastford for our senior year!"

"NO WAY!" jack shouted.

"AHHHH, YAY!" chloe squealed.

"i'm going to be back here for our last year of high school," zach remarked.

-

as the sun began to set, the group couldn't stop laughing. they were all bonding over past memories, inside jokes, and even fighting over marshmallows to make s'mores.

it was at that moment, chloe finally felt content. watching all of her friends fight over marshmallows made her smile even more. memories like this made her feel complete.

and it all started with a wrong number, a masquerade mask, and a boy who lived just one town away.

...

a / n :

and that's the final chapter! stay tuned for the last author's note!