One

One

"Mary! There you are. I was looking for you everywhere!"

"Oh hey, well here I am."

"Well have you heard the news then?"

I look up from my book at my best friend Jessica and nod, "The news about a new transfer student?"

"Yes!" She beams, "Well it seems as though there's more than one transfer student and rumour has it that they are all from really successful families." Honestly, this school and it's gossip.

I roll my eyes, "So what, we have a few more people with bad attitudes roaming around the school grounds? If that's the case, then their 'successful families' can have them."

"Mary, you don't understand!" I watch as Jessica begins to pout with her glossy lips, "You come from one of the most successful families in the country so how could you understand? All of us people below you really need a rich family to take care of us and our own family members!"

"I'm not saying I'm going to look at them like they're a piece of trash, I'm just going to act like I usually do- that's all, Jessica!" To be honest, the way I 'usually act' is by ignoring everyone and acting cold which always works. After all, you can't have a conversation with only one person talking, can you?

I was slightly surprised, however, when I heard this morning about the transferring students because the school doesn't usually do transfers, never mind several on the same day. Because of this I am left feeling apprehensive and unsure about the students selected to come to this school for the 'special' or in other words 'excessively rich' titles that their families possess.

Unfortunately, because this is a school for the rich, you find a lot -and I mean a lot- of snobs and brats roaming around forcing their titles down your throats and looking down at you from their thrones encrusted in diamonds and only the most expensive of gems.

You have probably guessed by now that I am lucky enough to be one of the successful students with a rich family and there's a strong chance that if you ask one of the students about me, they will probably refer to me as an ice queen or being a cold-hearted bitch and I am honestly fine with that.

Nothing could delight me more than the fact that people at school don't bother me with their idle chit-chat and trying to uphold a conversation with me because they all know that will never work.

I enjoy acting like I'm better than all these childish and spoilt beings, because I know that I don't need to show myself to them as I don't owe them anything and they don't deserve to know who I really am because all they care about is the latest trends, looking their best 24/7 and showing off so obviously and desperately. I guess it's because they crave recognition and friendship, but in all honestly, I've never wanted nor needed them that much because I have my family and only my family deserve to deal with the real me and only, they deserve my utmost respect.

Every time I think of my family, my heart swells with pride and a strong sense of happiness and home. My parents became successful out of their own passion and dedication to an idea and out of that came one of the most profitable businesses in the country. Morston is one of the most known names in the industry and I couldn't be prouder of my parents for achieving an unthinkable goal whilst raising me to one day hopefully be as strong as them and as passionate about something as they once were.

"Mary, hello? Are you even listening to me?" My head snaps up to reveal Jessica looking at me with a raised eyebrow.

"Pardon?" I ask guiltily. One thing I hate the most is not listening or paying attention when being talked to.

"I'm sorry, Jessica! Please continue." I smile, still feeling a little guilty that I wasn't listening to my best friend.

"Okay!" She smiles at me and carries on talking, "... so she said his name was Leo and apparently he is really hot but hasn't talked much yet. Nobody knows if he is shy, nervous or just doesn't need to talk much because he makes up for it with his attractiveness! That would just make him so much cuter! Don't you think, Mary?" Jessica looks at me expectantly and I just answer her with a shrug- she knows exactly how I feel about attractive guys. I give them a wide birth; I give them a wide, very wide birth.

It sounds like it makes it much easier as he doesn't seem to talk much by the sound of things.

---------

"We have a few new people joining us today who will enter shortly to introduce themselves. Help them out, would you? Now, let's start class by getting out your text books and turning to page 394."

Everyone gets out their text books as instructed, and the class begins.

Even though I knew beforehand that there was going to be more than one transfer student, it still came as a surprise when the teacher told us because it made it more real and added more confusion as to why the school thought it would be a good idea when we barely even accept one transfer a year.

Maybe things have changed without me noticing (not an often occurrence as I am very alert when it comes to this sort of thing, but it's still possible.)

I guess I didn't notice how popular the school has become recently.

"Mary could you do me a favour and go to the office and get me the keys for the sports cupboard for gym later?" I immediately nod at my teacher and receive a thanks before getting up and heading in the direction of the Miss Kim's office.

On my way to the office I see a group of boys outside the office who remind me a lot of lost sheep however I ignore them completely and enter into the room, eyes roaming around to find the familiar set of keys with a red tag that had the word 'GYM' scrawled in big letters. The second I find them, I grab them and turn around.

Unfortunately to my extreme displeasure I turn around to be faced with one of the -what I assume to be- lost boys. Great.

"Hey, excuse me," the guy's hand goes up to his neck; a sure sign for nervousness, "Would you be able to--"

I look up briefly before slipping by the side of him and out the door and back to the classroom.

"What an idiot." I mutter to myself, half amused, half annoyed. I don't talk to anyone -and I mean anyone- in school apart from my teachers if necessary and then Jessica.

The second I sit back down in my designated seat I hear the classroom door open again and to my dismay I look up to -once again- find the transfer students.