Speak No Evil

Chapter 1 Skye

Flashback****

     “Skye you have to be a good girl. I won't always be around for you. I need you to promise me that when you grow up you will be kind to everyone no matter how mean they are to you. You also need to share with people, don't be selfish, people don't like selfish people.” My mama told me.

End of flashback****

     Just the thought of my mother brought tears to my eyes. She had known she was going to die, and she told me to be good. Those were her last words to me before she passed away.

     Sometimes at night I would get a little lonely, and I couldn’t sleep. Those were the times I missed my mother the most. I just wanted her to be proud of me. She deserved the best.

     "Skyeeee come down hereee" a very slurred voice called out to me.

     He’s home... Sometimes I'm lucky and he, my father, doesn't come home. Other times, he comes home a few hours after midnight, and those are the time I dread the most.

     I rushed down the stairs as fast as I could. As I reached the bottom I saw him sitting on the couch. His face was red and he was holding a can of beer. Wasn’t he drunk enough?

     "Skyeee come heree you have been a badd girl" He slurred.

     I shivered at his words. This night would not end well. I slowly edged closer to him as he reached out towards me. He grabbed my arm. I had already started to feel the familiar dread that passed through me. First he caressed my cheek. Then he slapped me, hard.

     "Skye, you look just like your mom when she was young. So beautiful. But she's gone now and you make me sick!" He kicked me hard on my stomach making me double over in pain. I never understood why he did this to me. I didn't change when my mother died, and I tried to be good to him. I'm his own flesh and blood. Does this make him feel better? Suddenly I felt something cold press against my stomach. Pain seared through me, and I knew it was a knife. An unwanted whimper escaped my lips.

     "Don't make a sound." He whispered menacingly.

     His words sent another shiver down my spine. He pushed the knife deeper into my stomach then pulled it out. I felt like screaming, but I couldn't or else it would just get worse. I then realize that the physical pain didn't hurt as much as the pain I was feeling inside. He had a sadistic smile on his face, but his eyes were empty, cold. I suddenly felt so alone. Would this nightmare continue to haunt me? No. This is no nightmare, I had to remind myself. This was the real thing. This was my life.

     I look up into the face of the man I had once called my father. The man who used to buy me things whenever I asked for them. The man who used to spoil me filthy. Now that image was shattered and tainted forever. It has been replaced by such a coldness that it hurt to look at him. I stared into those empty eyes. A face with no emotion. I pondered everything that had happened in my life. I didn’t even notice all the pain until he left me. When he walked out the room I felt everything. Everything crashing down on me. I had fallen back into the hands of reality. The numbness, the nothingness, was gone.

     My life was never given an easy path. I knew that, and I had tried to fight this pain before, but it never worked.

     I tried standing up, but collapsed back onto the ground realizing that my legs were numb. I was losing feeling everywhere. I’m not sure if I was grateful or scared. Pain was shooting through my body from every bone, cut, and muscle. I couldn’t move. All I could do was sit and watch myself bleed. Not for the first time in my life I wondered. Would I die? Would I die tonight?