Surprise

Third Person POV

[Flashback]

Amber: "What do you mean 'it's my choice?'" Came the voice of Amber at the entrance to the barn, looking at Y/N who was tinkering with his bike while Peggy just stood there, watching them talk back and forth. The light from the setting sun giving the little light that entered a orange glow.

Y/N: "It means exactly that, whatever you want, whatever life you want to live. It is entirely your choice." He said, not stopping what he was doing or looking back to her, the sadness from the earlier conversation that occurred days prior still showing in his eyes. He distracted himself from going back down that sad thought train by continuing to repair what appeared to be some blade and bullet damage on the motorcycle.

Amber: "I was never given a choice before, why do I suddenly have one now?" She said, the sad undertone being heard clearly to the man and his steed. It made sense, after the talk they had she would realize she was one of many Ozpin gave a choice to.

Y/N: "I already told you why, you're no longer a target for Salem and Ozpin only wanted to keep the power out of her hands, he failed and now they're a step ahead of him. Whatever you were told before going on this journey was bullshit. This isn't a war between two powerful adversaries, this is an old man stuck in the past trying in vain to stop the inevitable. Salem doesn't want to end all of humanity she just wants to rule it to be what she sees as the perfect land. You do not have to be the next in a very long line to be buried under Ozpin's failures nor the next to stab him in the back to help Salem.Had Ozpin or any of his scouts not gotten to you first she would have talked and convinced you to join her." He explained as Amber just looked at him, feeling with how he said all this like he's said it all before.

Amber: "I'm not the first you've given this speech to am I?" She asked after a long silence, noticing him flinch at the question. After his own long silence he responded.

Y/N: "...No, you're not the first, there have been others... good people who I tried to save from his lies. I failed once.... leaving two little girls to only see their mother in photos and her name only on a tombstone. I tried again with one of the girls, while both were becoming huntresses only one held the values of one... You know, it hurts... to be a being that has the subconscious desire to protect the innocent, and then to have to convince someone else to not help the innocent. I haven't been successful so far, but I made sure she knew what she was getting into.

She and her sister know near enough the same as you, a little less as I didn't want someone so young to here the heinous acts committed. They try and act cheerful but I know they feel a deep sadness over their mothers demise, especially now that they know why it happened. I don't want this life for you, for anyone. It is a life of loss and sacrifice, and no matter who wins, everyone still losses. I gave this choice to the spring maiden as well, found my way into haven while no one knew and told her what she was really fighting for, and gave her a choice."

Amber: "What did she do?" She asked as Y/N stopped tinkering, going silent before placing the tools back in the tool box near him and standing up to look at her. He crossed his arms and leaned on the bike.

Y/N: "She wanted to leave, the burden her powers had thrown onto her was too much and the truth of all this was too much. She had a normal life before, a young woman, only child, raised in an Vacuo orphanage so she knew the hard life, little racist but that can't be helped sometimes. Even had an early marriage, great guy. She was even expecting, but... then suddenly she had powers, and it was too much. Even after such a terrible event, they still bullshitted her into helping them, using her loss as a means to give her determination to fight. To find out she was just a glorified key was just... too much on her.