Chapter 1

Nandini's POV:

“Please tell me your name, miss." The lady with perfectly combed hair and inches of makeup ask from behind the desk.

"Nandini Pandit." I say looking at her swift hands typing something on the computer.

"Aah! There it is. Mr. Smith is in his office with someone right now. You may please wait until." She gesture towards the sofa near the desk.

"Thank you." I say and take a place next to a man with many paperworks and files in his hand.

This is one of my weekly visits to the head office of the NGO that I work for. CARE International has been helping people from all over the world since years and that is one of the reasons why I love to work here.

The other reason is that it not only provides food, shelter and basic facilities to the needy but also spends some amount on other luxuries and entertainment occasionally. Our head, Joe Smith, had some works assigned for me which he thinks I can do perfectly and so I am here, sitting in the reception of the office and waiting for his previous meeting to get over.

The phone on the reception desk ring and the lady answer it. "Sure sir." She says and turns to me. "Miss Nandini?  You can meet him now."
I get up from the seat and take the lift up to his floor. The top floor of the building, which is made up of glass and shiny metal frames is one of my favourite places to admire the city. The blue city looks really beautiful from here. I politely knock on his door and receive his voice, "come in."

I enter the room and take the seat in front of him.
"Oh Nandini. Good to see you again. How are you?" His elderly voice feels very warm with his welcome.

"I am great sir. I heard you wanted to see me."

"Yes. I do. Actually I have a good project for you. This can really help us and the poor kids. I want you to spend this week at the Mother Care." He hand me my new work place.

"The orphanage?" I ask, not sure about the place.

"Yes my dear. You are the youngest member we have here and the kids would love to play with you. Besides, you also need to make a report of the management of the place and inform us about that. And we know you love children, right?" A wide grin spread on his face causing me to smile.

"Yes sir. I would really love to." I say and actually was meaning it.

"So you can start with the work from tomorrow. You can take the paperwork and previous reports from the office downstairs. I will see you then. Thank you."

"Sure sir." I say whatever came to my mouth and turn towards the door, already excited for meeting so many children tomorrow.

I walk out of the office building after getting the reports of a previous member who went there last year. I open the back gate of the car and throw my purse in and get in the front seat. It is nearly evening and the drive back to my home will take a while. So I decide to order something for our dinner.

I texted my best friend and my roomie, Kabir, that I will be a bit late so he pay for the food. He must be home before me as his work hours are fixed, unlike me. I am called to work anytime at emergency or occasions and I can leave for home anytime I want. Another reason I love my job.

I drive along the trees and the light pink sky and tapped my fingers on the beats of the random songs on the radio. There are many upcoming and old singers whose songs I like but there is this one band which I love the most - One Direction. The boys are amazing. But sadly, they are on a long break and engaged in their solo careers. And Niall Horan and Harry Styles are off on their world tours. I'm just so proud of them and their work.

I speed up the car and soon reach my apartment. The sun has already set and the black Zest parked in the area tells that Kabir is home. I kill the engine, take my bag and wait for the lift. As soon as it comes, I press the button 4 for my floor. The door was open so I assume it was left for me, as his habit, he leaves the door open so I don't have to wait outside.

I close the door behind me and get a glimpse of Kabir in the kitchen. "Welcome back Nandi." He say from inside. "Hey." I greet back.

"The food has just arrived and is warm and smells good. Freshen yourself until I serve these." He says. I go to my room and change my clothes to some comfy pyjamas. I wash my face and braid my hair, removing it from my face.

Kabir has the table ready and sat on the opposite of me. "How was your day?" I ask. "Great. Boss is really impressed from my presentation and I guess I have to work some extra hours. You know, I'm his favourite now." He says with a cheeky smile.

"How about you?"

"Almost same. I am assigned in an orphanage a few kilometres from here and I've heard that the children there are really cute."

"Same old thing Nandi." He say, already bored of children. "Yeah but this one is a little special. And I am getting a feeling that it is going to be memorable." I say, and I'm sure my eyes lit up.

"Yeah, if you say." He rolled his eyes and took another bite of the paneer.
We ate in comfortable silence and got up together. "I'll wash the dishes. You can sleep." I tell him. "Okay. Good night love." He says. "Good night." I smile back and continue with the washing.