Chapter 1

Serina

As a child, I thought I was ordinary, but when you've been behind a gun since the age of four; ordinary seems to go out the window. There was no first throw with a ball and mitt. It was first shot from a 9mm. I grew up with military insights. This is what probably led me to be the odd girl in school. Serina Johnson the girl everyone is scared of. At four I didn't see why I was so odd. I was hanging out with my grandpa, granted I was shooting but still! That was my bond with him, my Dad and my Uncle John, they were all in the military. My mom was skeptical about this, she wanted me to be the princess locked in the tower, but that wasn't me. At now nineteen my mom finally got over it, she wasn't happy but she was over it. My Dad and Grandpa worked together mostly recruiting and also teaching dad taught hand to hand combat, Grandpa taught guns. And man was he good at it. If I had to choose, my Grandpa was definitely cooler. My so-called Uncle John wasn't really my uncle, he was a family friend and worked in the office with my dad. His son Jacob was 2 years older than me and they all trained both of us. Jake followed his father into the military while I stayed with my art degree. My grandpa was the biggest push for training us, he wanted me and Jake to be prepared if something did happen to me. just me! I always thought it was odd how he wanted to teach me these odd maneuvers as well as Jake. My grandpa promised me he would be there no matter what, till the wheels fall off. What I didn't realize is he prepared me for a day I wouldn't have my protector anymore.  

That day was like any other, woke up, went to school, came home, ate dinner. A knock at the door silenced me and my parent's laughter at the sink. My father answers the door and is handed an envelope by a mailman that wasn't our usual. My father brings it back to us opening it up. "what is it, father?" I ask as he slips his hand into it. "it's a CD or video of some sort." dad hands me the CD and I slide it into the DVD player a black screen comes up and then a single lit room with what looked like hey and stone walls. There is rustling heard and struggling. Figures come into view and two men are seen holding another man down with a cloth over his head. A voice comes from the speakers "Time to pay the deal David" the cloth is removed revealing grandpa. "No!" I shout and a shot is heard with the scream going black. "Grandpa!" I scream and hold my dad close to me who's still in shock. How could anyone do such a thing? All I knew now was I lost my protector...... forever.