Episode 4: Closer than you think

Next day, the president of NYU Stern Business School spoke first and then followed by some notable professors. The director of alumni called for everybody's attention. "Next, I would like to thank alumni for their generous donations this year. First, could Mr. Lee from Samsung stand up? Samsung family has always been very generous to NYU. This year, they have helped our NYU Stern program even more by graciously funding the Entrepreneurial center. Mr. Lee who is also on the alumni board." Juhyuk stood up looking embarrassed. People applauded nonetheless.

Sessions ended around 3 pm.

Juhyuk texted me.

"We need to find out what this city is about. Want to explore?"

My heart jumped again when I saw his message. Last night felt like a dream.

I knew this trip was going to be memorable but didn't expect this.

What would Bo gum say? He will probably think I'm nuts hanging out with Juhyuk. Probably shake his head and give me a lecture.

Juhyuk met me in the lobby, and we asked the concierge for the best bossa nova music venue

Juhyuk met me in the lobby, and we asked the concierge for the best bossa nova music venue. He pulled out a map and showed us a small restaurant called Bip Bip. It was about 15 minutes away from the hotel. When my shoes became too painful to walk, Juhyuk noticed and hailed a taxi. He grabbed my hand and helped me get in the cab.

Bip Bip only had few tables, so we sat on the narrow bench next to locals to listen

Bip Bip only had few tables, so we sat on the narrow bench next to locals to listen. Juhyuk got up and paid for two bottles of beer. He handed me a beer and sat down again. Our arms rubbed and I could smell the beer in his breath. He put his arms around my shoulder. The musician sang in a soft tone while playing the beaten-down guitar. It made us forget everything, and we listened in silence.

"I wish I could stay here forever," he said finally.

"Is life hard for you in Korea?" I blurted out. That's a stupid question, I thought. Of course, it's hard for him. There is a lot of pressure for him to succeed within Samsung.

"Yes, the pressure is sometimes hard to take. I usually don't talk about this stuff. But I feel safe with you. "

The ocean breeze felt cool against my cheeks.

"Being part of chaebol is not as gloriously as people think. No one knows what it's like to be constantly watched and judged. If I do something kind, they say it's because of my family. If I make a mistake, they say I'm just a spoiled brat, and my family will take care of it."

I nodded but kept silent. I wanted Juhyuk to just talk and let it out. It was the least I can do.

"I would give up my position if I can turn the time back."

The musicians began to play "Corcovado." The singer started to sing in English this time.

This is where I want to be

Here with you so close to me

Until the final flicker of life's ember

I who was lost and lonely

Believing life was only

A bitter, tragic joke, have found with you

The meaning of existence, oh my love

He grabbed my hand under the table.

Did he think that the lyrics were about him? Maybe. I felt strangely close to this man. I wanted to wash away his years of pain.

 I wanted to wash away his years of pain