Episode 51 - A year later

September 15, 2009

"Smile!" said the cameraman adjusting his tripod. The bride and groom kissed while the spectators cheered on. 

It was a hot day in St. Helena, one last heatwave before the fall.  But none of the guests minded, the courtyard had plenty of carefully placed trees to stand under. The wedding was in a beautiful vineyard. 

Life was good. Shirley was marrying Jisoo, a thirty-something up and coming chef who came to work for Saison, a Michelin star restaurant in the city. They had met when she was interning thereafter Le Cordon Bleu. They were opening an organic Korean fusion restaurant in Sunset. Annie's startup had just raised series A and she was managing two customer support agents under her. Sandip was a hotelier now - they sold their motel right before the crash and they had bought a hotel in Miami at a cheap price. Charlene had become a real estate agent and was doing well. Andrew Canning had been promoted to a managing director position in a real estate development firm. Ryan had founded a real estate startup. Rachel's PR agency was thriving in New York! 

"She looks beautiful, doesn't she?" said Shirley to Daniel. 

"Yup! So glad to she dumped Chris. Again. " Said Daniel, stuffing more kimbap into his mouth. 

"How the hell do you fit all that food into your tiny mouth? It's like a freakin' back hole! " Annie exclaimed.  "Yes, I'm glad too. Jisoo is so much better." 

When Chris heard that Shirley was engaged to Jisoo, a thirty-something up and coming chef who came to work for Saison a Michelin star restaurant in the city that used vegetables from their own farm in Marin County six months ago, he rushed over to San Francisco, begging Shirley to take him back.

"Do you remember how he was sobbing? God, I'm still traumatized by that. Jesus, just suck it up."

"Well, I was more disturbed by the fact he slept on our couch for a week! That was like one of the most awkward weeks of my life!" 

"You know what that was? Right?" Daniel said. 

"Is this another kdrama tropes? I know, I know.  Na gat gi shil go Nam jugi aggapda!" 

"Bingo!" Daniel gave Annie a high five. 

"What are you guys giggling about. I heard you say something in Korean. You know I gotta learn. I'm marrying one!" Shirley laughed, waving at Jisoo, who smiled back.  

"Nam jugi aggapgo na gat gi shil da!" Annie enunciated the words. 

"Ok, that's too long. What does it mean?" 

"It means, don't want to keep but also don't want to give to someone else... We are talking about Korean drama tropes. " Annie whispered. 

"I'm still confused.What does that have to do with me? Wait, Chris?" Shirley asked. 

"Well," Daniel cleared his throat, " in this case, Chris wanted to you back badly-  he just needed that extra nudge to figure that out. God, I mean...why would he go for Kasey in the first place? I dumped her for a reason." He pretended to shutter. 

"He is such a loser. Whatever. I'm so glad Jisoo understood that whole situation with him refusing to leave the apartment for a week! Isn't he so sweet?" 

"Ok, ok. I get it, it's your wedding day. But seriously have some mercy on the single people here, please?" Annie said, she turned around to Daniel, it was his cue to chime in. But he was already on the other side of the courtyard, flirting with a girl. 

"Haha, you never know, Annie. You never know!" Shirley said, wrapping her arm around Annie's shoulders. 

"What does that mean? Do you know something I don't? " 

Shirley shrugged and started to walk off.

"Wait, Shirley....what does that.....mean....."

Suddenly, Annie stopped. Her heart started pounding at the sight of an image coming towards her. Was it a mirage she was seeing? She hadn't seen him for almost two years. How could he be here? 

Juhyuk looked as handsome as ever in a tuxedo. 

"Hi Annie," He smiled. 

"Is it really you? How...." 

"I had Shirley's number so I gave her a call and she told me about the wedding and that you would be here. Aren't you going to give me a hug first?" 

"Yes, yes!" Annie hugged him and breathed in his cologne on the nape of his neck. 

"I missed you, Annie."

"I missed you too. I'm so sorry for everything I did."

"Shh....it's over. We are here. I will never leave you again."  Juhyuk said. 

"Me too. Those were the exact words I wanted to hear." Annie replied softly. 

"Come on, let's get out of here. There is so much to talk about." 

"To where?" 

"I don't know. Where should we go now?"