Episode 46 : Ordinary People Like Me

"Mr. Sohn. You knew my mom received the funds already. Didn't you?" Annie said looking out the window aimlessly as Hojun drove to her home. 

"Your mom asked me to promise. I'm sorry." Hojun said, his eyes fixated on the road. 

"You've done more than enough for our family. Thank you. It's all my fault. My family didn't deserve this. Especially my father. " Annie said. Would Juhyuk ever forgive her for what she was about to do? Or will he see her as another gold digger who used him for money? She remembered the deep pain in his eyes when he first confessed to her about his trust issues with people. She had become one of those people who took advantage of him. Just a couple of days ago, she felt vindicated like some underdog superhero who had fought against corruption and injustice in Wall Street. Who was she kidding? She bit her lower lip hard. 

"Are you ok, Ms. Suk? I think your lips are blooding," he said, taking his eyes off the road for a second to look at Annie. 

"What would you do if you were in my shoes, Mr. Sohn? I can't return the money. I can't afford to do that. My salary is not enough." Annie said ignoring his question. 

"I gave up my dreams when my father died to support my siblings. I would do the same thing. Family comes first." 

"Thank you. Mr. Sohn. But if I'm doing the right thing, why does it hurt so bad?" 

"Juhyuk will understand the choice you had to make." He said, after a long pause. He didn't say anything after that. Jetlag finally caught up with Annie, and she dozed off until Hojun woke her up.

When she got home she started writing an email to Juhyuk. It was going to get harder if she waited. She let her fingers type the words. 

'Juhyuk, 

You probably heard from your mother that my mother had received the money from your family. I am to never see you again. I thought I was brave. I'm just a coward. I surrendered to money, just like the people that left you all your life. I don't even want to ask for your forgiveness. I'm so sorry. I love you so much but if I see you, I am afraid of what your family will do. And that's not the way to live a life. I can't be selfish anymore. I just don't want to hurt my family anymore. They suffered enough. My father still can't speak. In our next lives, I pray to God that we can love freely.  

Love, Annie. '

For the next five days, she stayed by her father's side so her mom can catch some sleep in the next room. His speech got better noticeably by the end of her trip. When she was about to leave for the airport, he gave her a hug and told her not to worry about him. She nodded and assured him that she will be back soon. She forced herself to smile until she closed the door behind her. And then cried all the way to America.