6

Z p.o.v

I could hear the alarm going off next to me as I try and fall asleep again. Letting go fo Five for a second I roll over and aggressively turn off the loud alarm. 

"Who the fuck wakes up at 7:00 am?" I ask myself as I roll back over under Five's arm. Blissfully I close my eyes listen to his soft steady heartbeat. As I try and fall back asleep I feel Five begin to stir awake. His legs were the first to move. His legs rubbing against mine, his chest rising and falling dramatically. His arm moving around to let go of me. I frown and pull him closer, not wanting to get out of this comfortable position. 

"Z?" He asked in a low mumble. 

"Mm?" I answer back not opening my eyes. 

"I need to get up." He said very plainly. Rolling my eyes subconsciously I let go off his arm that was once protectively over me. "I know if it was up to you, we'd be here all day, doing nothing, but we need to get ready to go to the lab." He continued. He sat on the edge of the bed, probably either looking at me or the window. 

Finally opening my eyes I see Five looking out the open window we had left. He observed all the people going on about they're ordinary day, while I looked at him. His messy black hair, the dried up droll next to his lips. His foggy eyes, still looking tired. 

"I'm gonna hit the shower." He announced as he looked back at me. I nodded my head and gave him a small smile. Him returning the gesture. Before walking out the room he scouted over to me placing his small hand on my cheek. I sigh at his hold on me as I place my hand on top of his, not wanting him to leave. Closing my eyes and feeling this small bit of affection. The butterflies fluttering my heart. He leaned forward placing a kiss on my forehead. "Have coffee ready please," He said against my skin before letting me go and walking out the door. I stay there in the same position, trying to savor the moment that just happened.

Why does he make me feel this way? 

Is this normal? 

I don't want to feel this way, he makes me feel mushy, and soft, and warm. 

Im 58 years old and I don't know how to describe this feeling. I don't know how to react, respond, to this affection. In the apocalypse things where different. He never reached for me, never ask to sleep with him. That's what he had Dolores there for. That was his way of getting the affection he needed. 

It was always me who would reach for him when I heard a strange noise, or when I had nightmares, I would always go to him. He was my best friend, my only friend, and during all the time we grew old not once did we share a kiss or anything like that. When the Handler showed up and took us in, Five changed. He opened up to me more and always made sure I was next to him. We didn't separate from each other. He started to hold my hand, offer me a shoulder to lean on, started calling me sweetheart. I don't know what changed during our time as assassins. Maybe it was the fact that we were older, more mature. Or maybe that I was the only one for him, the only person who has ever truly gotten to know him. In other words, he was my life partner. Nearly most of our lives we were together. Just him and I, and I think he realized that when he came back. 

--

We took the elevator up to the main floor of the building. Five and I stood by the front desk looking around.

"Uh, can I help you?" A man said with a lab coat on walking up to us. 

"I need to know who belongs to." Five said walking up to the man showing him the eye. 

"Where did you get that?" The man asked again avoiding his question. 

"What do you care?" Five snapped back aggressively. Subconsciously I reach for his arm, holding a tight grip on him, not wanting him to blow up in anger.