Part 6

Libby's POV

"She just walked away?" Andi says.

We sit on her couch together, while she tries to comprehend what I told her about what happened with Iris two days ago.

"That doesn't make any sense," Andi continues. "She's not homophobic. I don't understand why she would leave after that."

Me neither, I sign. Unless she saw where I was going and got freaked out about me liking her.

"Maybe," Andi says. "Have you talked to her since then?"

I shake my head. She hasn't texted me, and I don't want to be pushy by texting her.

Andi frowns. "Libby, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have encouraged you to come out to her."

It's not your fault. And I don't regret telling her. I'm not going to feel bad for who I am.

"Good for you. But you're still not happy, are you?"

I shake my head.

"Well, how about we go get some milkshakes from The Spoon? My treat."

I don't really feel like going anywhere.

"Come on," Andi says. "You can't sit around and be sad forever."

I sigh. Okay. Thanks.

_______________________________________

Iris' POV

He's not not cute. I mean, he's attractive, yes. That much is obvious to anyone with eyes. He has dark hair and a charming smile that would make any girl melt. Still, even with all of that, Austin somehow isn't enough to get my mind off of Libby.

He sits across from me in The Spoon and talks about his interest in physics, which usually I'd find interesting, but I can't help but feel out of place. When he finishes describing a lab assignment he did for school on kinetic force, I stick a grin on my face and pretend to be interested.

"That's cool," I say.

"You know you don't have to use sign language when you talk to me, right?" he says. "I can hear you."

"Oh, right," I respond, not even realizing I was doing that. "Force of habit."

It's odd, because I usually don't sign unless I'm around someone's who's deaf. I'm not sure why I keep automatically wanting to sign my words right now.

Suddenly, Amber approaches with refills of pop, setting them down on the table.

"How's it going?" she asks us.

"Good," Austin answers.

Amber smiles before leaving again to go help other guests.

"That's a nice bracelet," Austin says.

I look down at the pink-beaded piece of jewelry that I haven't been able to bring myself to take off. I don't know why, but every time I start to untie it, I get anxious and change my mind. I know I should just take it off. As long as I'm wearing it, I'll never be able to forget about her.

"Thanks," I mutter, rolling my thumb over the beads.

"Did you make it?" he asks.

"No, my—um—friend make it for me."

"That's neat."

A second later, a chime jingles, and my sight locks onto the girl entering The Spoon with Andi. When she notices me, she quickly breaks eye contact. She turns to Andi and signs something I can't see, at which point Andi takes her hand and pulls her forward. As if purposely chosen by the gods, the only empty table is one which the girls have to walk past mine to get to. Andi stops on her way by me to wave, although I really wish her and Libby would just continue past.

"Hey," Andi says. "Who's this?"

I had nearly forgotten about the boy sitting across from me.

"Austin," I reply.

Libby watches curiously, but I make a deliberate choice not to sign anything as I speak to Andi.

"Nice to meet you," Andi says. "Do you know each other from school?"

"Actually," Austin replies, "Amber set us up."

Andi glances to me, then back to Austin.

"So this is a date," she says.

"Yeah," Austin confirms.

Andi looks at me once more, and Libby taps her on the shoulder.

What? Libby asks.

Andi hesitates before signing, They're on a date.

Instantly, Libby's expression falls, and she spins around swiftly, hurrying out of the diner. Andi runs after her, and I'm left staring at the door.

"I'm sorry," I say as I turn back to Austin. "You're really great, but I don't think I can do this."

He looks confused as I stand up out of my chair and take a few bills out of my wallet to give to him.

"I'll pay," I say.

Then I start toward the door, at which point I hear Amber call my name.

"Iris! Where are you going?" she asks.

I don't have time to beat around the bush. I just need to find Libby.

"Amber, I'm not straight," I blurt out. "I like a girl, and I screwed things up pretty badly with her, so I need to go make it right."

Then I whip around and pull the door open.

The wind hits my face as I exit The Spoon. I spot Andi talking to Libby a block away and Immediately start in their direction. As I run into the street, a car honks at me and skids to a stop before the crosswalk, making Andi look over to me. Libby does the same, and when she sees me, she starts walking in the opposite direction.

"Andi, tell her I'm sorry!" I shout.

Andi tries to sign it to Libby, but Libby refuses to slow down. I sprint the rest of the way, finally causing her to halt when I step in front of her. She watches me with cold eyes as I try to catch my breath.

"Can I please talk to you?" I say to Libby.

She folds her arms over her chest.

"Please," I repeat.

After a moment of nothing, she nods.

"I'll leave you two alone," Andi whispers to me before starting back toward The Spoon.

"Libby," I say. "I'm sorry. I was stupid. I shouldn't have left like that when you told me you were . . ."

A lesbian, she finishes for me.

"Yeah."

Why did you leave?

"I don't know," I say. "I was scared."

Of what?

"Of—of . . ." I let out a frustrated breath. "I like you, Libby."

She stares at me, trying to understand what I just said.

"I like you," I continue, "and that's scary to me, because I've never liked a girl this way before, and I get it if you don't like me, because I was stupid, and—"

Her lips press to mine, releasing a spark of electricity through my veins and sending my rapid heartbeat into overdrive. As she kisses me, I find her hands with mine and tangle our finger together. I don't want to let this moment go, afraid that if I do, I'll wake up and find out it was all a dream.

My eyes linger on her lips for a few seconds as she drifts away. Then I smile and meet her gaze with mine. I'm such an idiot. I can't believe I ever thought that maybe I didn't like her this way. I obviously do.

She removes her hands from mine to sign, I like you too.

Seeing the words makes me smile even bigger as butterflies flit their wings in my chest.

"Would I be totally getting the wrong idea if I asked you to be my girlfriend?"

She shakes her head, smiling. That's a fantastic idea.