Part 2

Libby's POV

When we enter in, I spot my family in the crowded space.

"I'll text you," Iris tells me.

I'll text back, I sign.

She smiles before separating, heading over to take her seat across the gym with her own family. I give her a wave then walk to the empty chair next to my brother. He glances between Iris and I as I lower down beside him.

"Who's the girl you were with?" he wonders.

Her name is Iris, I answer.

He looks over at her again, then back to me. She's cute, he signs. Are you into her?

My eyes flicker to my parents behind him, making sure they didn't see what he asked. They don't know I'm gay, and I'm not ready to tell them.

Gus, don't say that with Mom and Dad nearby, I sign.

Don't worry. They're not paying attention. They're focussed on Sarah.

Sarah is my sister, who my parents are currently snapping a thousand photos of as she plays her clarinet on stage.

"So . . .?" he asks again.

No. I just met her, I tell him. Besides, she's probably straight.

"That's too bad."

It's not, because I don't like her, I repeat, this time with more force.

"Okay, fine. You get upset easily."

I roll my eyes at him, then look over my shoulder to where Iris sits. Instantly, her eyes find mine and I quickly whip my focus back to the stage. She was looking at me too.

______________________________________

Andi and I sit in Andi Shack together, both striping bare headbands with colourful tape.

"That's really pretty," she says, noticing the pink polka-dotted tape I'm using.

Thank you, I reply. I love yours.

All of a sudden, I feel my phone vibrate and I pull it out to see a text from Iris.

Iris: Hey.

Libby: Hey.

Andi taps my shoulder to get my attention before signing, "What are you smiling about?"

I shrug.

Iris: Do you wanna do something tomorrow?

Libby: Anything you had in mind?

Iris: I was hoping you'd have an idea.

I grin reading her response.

Libby: There's this art showcase thing happening in the park where community artists are showing their work.

Iris: That's so cool! I'd love to go.

Libby: Perfect! It starts at 6:00.

"Who could you be texting that's making you blush like that?" Andi asks.

I quickly lock my phone as she peeks over to get a look. I haven't come out to Andi yet, and I may be a little attracted to the person on the other end of my texts, so I'd prefer she not know that it's a girl who's making me blush.

"Are you texting a boy?" she asks with a grin.

Not a boy, I assure her.

My screen lights up and I open my messages again, smiling when I see Iris' reply.