The Story Begins

New Rome was always bustling, but with elections coming up the place was alive like never before. People had spent the last month campaigning for Senate seats and Praetor positions which finally came to a boiling point on debate day.
Crowds gathered at the hastily constructed speaker's platform hoping for their friends or family members to be elected. Others were simply interested in the art of it all. Then, perhaps most excited, were the children enjoying provided sweets at nearby stalls.
However, beneath the surface of the festivities tensions rose. Security was on high alert, Amazons blended into the crowd in normal Roman attire while Hunters perched on nearby rooftops watching the masses intently.
Nico paced about, prowling the back quarters of the gathered crowd. For a brief moment he locked eyes with his sister. She too was worried. Within the past month a set of campers had arrived under unusual circumstances.
They were a trio, two girls and one boy, rescued by the Hunters after they received a distress call from a satyr. Upon arriving the Satyr was found dead. The three had minor injuries, and for fear of another attack Thalia had escorted them back to New Rome-the closest safe haven.
Not long after arriving the trio learned of the upcoming elections and took an enthusiastic interest. One that alarmed Reyna. Most demigods didn't show interest in politics until they had settled into New Rome for a year or two. The election process was grueling, complicated, and not easily endured. What was more surprising was the decision of the eldest girl to actively run for a position.
Her competitors had slowly been weeded out and now she threatened the very positions of Reyna and Frank. Under normal circumstances the two elder demigods wouldn't have minded, but things had begun to change as of late.
The girl's speeches held undertones of dangerous ideals, concepts, and radical plans. Even more terrifying was how quickly she gained a base of support. It didn't seem natural and yet she'd made her way-easily-into the final debates.
But it wasn't just Frank and Reyna feeling the heat of the new comers' campaign, members of New Rome adamantly opposed her. Fights had broken out on more than one occasion between the girl's supporters and other citizens. And given the crowd, Reyna feared things would boil over to a dangerous point. She's not alone in her concern.
The mediator hushed the crowd with great effort signaling the start of the debate process.
"Something feels...off about this," Frank whispered, stepping up beside his friend.
"We have to play the part for now. If we can keep this girl from winning everything will be fine," Reyna promised, eyes locking on one of the rooftops. A slender figure crouched in perfect line with the stage. Reyna had trusted only Thalia to have the critical position. If anything went wrong the daughter of Zeus would need to react in less than a second. Wipe out any potential threat, and keep an eye out for more.
The Huntress made a flurry of hand movements Reyna could barely decipher. Frowning, the praetor responded with care. Thalia replied;
'Two out. One present.'
'Trio split?' Reyna asked.
'No visual. Two.'
"She doesn't have visual on the other two," Reyna mumbled.
"Then hope your sister can sniff them out," Frank whispered, as the mediator beckoned them forward. The crowd erupted with a series of cheers and applause accompanied by boos and shouts of disapproval. Both romans took it with care, making sure to smile, remain poised, and relatively unconcerned. But both of them were wondering what exactly was a stake. This was more than a debate and they knew it. What exactly they were signed up for? Who knew. But they wouldn't be going away with ease.