Chapter 26: The Fallen Weasley

~ Photos are not mine

"That's the end of it, then?" George asked, continuing to emit silvery vapors from his wand, watching the magic fortify the growing dome that washed over all of Hogwarts. Lee nodded somberly, though he forced a small grin on his face. "I hate that this was the end for us. I promised her so much, I was willing to devote myself to her-"

"No offense, man, but you made the right call." Fred fixated. "Don't devote yourself to a person who's not ready to do the same for you. I mean, is it really the kind of love you want? To love her until you have none left for yourself?"

Another steady stream of protective charms spilled from Lee's wand-like liquid moonlight. "It was amazing, though. To have loved her for that time. And she did love me back." Fred and George nodded, looking at their friend who had kept his head tilted upward to the night sky, avoiding eye contact. "Emily loved you. And knowing her, she would have wanted it to work out perfectly." Fred consoled.

"History is a fickle thing," George commented.

Lee frowned, dismissing the twin's thought. "It wasn't just the history between her and Malfoy. I suppose you can never hope for a cord to be cut between people who were meant to be together."

"Soul mates, you mean?" Fred stated, laughing breathily. Lee finally faced his friends, his eyes framed with a sad sort of peacefulness. "Yeah."

"It would explain why Fred's been shot down long ago-"

"George, shut up."

Lee laughed along with George, wagging a finger at Fred. "That is true, and you know it." His spark of joy faded back to silence, snapping himself back to fortifying the shield that shrouded Hogwarts. "A part of me knew. I didn't think it would hurt me this much to ignore an inkling."

~

~

"I don't understand how this could be difficult for you, you've told me before that you know how to get into all four common rooms-"

"I don't know Hufflepuff's."

"Well, we're at Ravenclaw's. You know how to open the door."

"No. I know how Ravenclaws' open their porthole, I know how they solve a mind-numbing riddle and answer it like it's 1+1. I also know that if they don't answer it, the porthole won't give them another chance until someone else figures it out."

"I'm here, aren't I? I can help if ever you get stuck. So, let's get a move on."

Draco reached for the brass door knocker on the shiny wooden door, rapping it three times to awaken the bronze eagle perched atop the knocker. Its beak opened, and instead of a loud bird call they anticipated, a soft melodic voice spoke. "Which came first, the Phoenix or the flame?"

Emily looked at Draco, suddenly combusting into a fit of laughter. "This is what I've been scared of? a wizarding world version of what came first, the chicken or the egg?"