Chapter Sixteen

I watched the brambles around us with growing worry. They were so dense that any sunlight that did get through Todas' thick canopy was smothered by them. The thick and humid air was nearly a tangible thing that could come to life and eat the few fireflies that did exude light.

Somehow, the thorny plants parted just before we'd hit them. Not even one brushed my fur. I looked at my body and whined at the sight. Roughly half of my fur had been destroyed by the silver net, and the rest was covered in blood, making me look uglier than I'd ever seen myself before.

"Shh, it's alright," the woman said. "Your fur will probably come back within a few months. That short amount of time shouldn't be a problem for someone who'll live thousands of years, right?"

The thought of having to look this ugly for a few months was unbearable to me, even if I knew it'd pass. Even my beautiful tail couldn't console me. It looked out of place, being the only thing made out of flames on my body. It looked far more natural when I had my full mane.

More bushes covered in nasty-looking thornes moved to the side, and more light than I'd seen in days lit up a clearing. A wall of thick-leaved plants surrounded it, making it feel enclosed and safe. The woman's scent seemed become one with that of the area, matching it perfectly.

"This is my home. It's not much, but I like it." She gently laid me on the grass picked up one of the flowers bloomed everywhere in the grass. Only the garden next to the small house was free of the small explosions of color.

I had to admit that it was beautiful, but the scent of all those flowers made my nose itch. It was unnatural. Barely any flowers bloomed in Todas; not enough sunlight reached the bottom, leaving the rotten leaves and ferns to dominate the forest floor.

A sneeze made my entire body jerk. The pain that ignited from all the wounds made me cry out. As the pain subsided, my dislike for the strong-smelling flowers grew.

The woman knelt next to me, gently shushing me. "It'll be alright. Shall I move you to the firepit before I go collect some wood?"

I nodded, careful not to move too much. She once again picked me up as if I was a fragile leaf and carried me to the firepit next to her house. The charcoal that lay in it were cold and old.

"I'll be right back with you. You are safe here, no one but me can pass through the brambles." She flashed me a bright smile before walking off. The wall of thorns parted to let her through, leaving me alone in the clearing.

Birds chirped all around, and the buzzing of insects filled the air. It felt like summer here, as if the winter hadn't come here at all. A grasshopper moved around from grass blade to grass blade, its green body almost invisible, but not for my keen eyes. The only thing stopping me from going after it was my battered body.

I tore my eyes away from the grasshopper to inspect the clearing. It was a bit hard to see from the pit, but I tried anyways. The hut seemed simple enough, with its clay walls and thatched roof. It'd protect one from the horrible thing called rain.

A feathery bunch of orange and white appeared on top of the log that lay next to the firepit. I ignored its curious gaze and continued to watch the clearing, looking at the colorful birds in the shrubs.

Two more orange-white creatures hopped onto the log, chirping to each other as they watched me. Finally, I looked at the small, harmless creatures. The ambertails' chirping increased tenfold when they saw that I was looking at them. One of the three dared to come closer. It glided down the log, spreading its small wings to slow its descent.

I looked at it, my expression passive. I knew the little, feathered creatures would rather play than attack. If only my body wasn't this hurt, then I'd chase them around the clearing, creature of fire to creature of fire.

The blue-eyed animal took my body language as welcome and took a few steps closer, long ears perked forward. I waited silently for it to approach me. Just when we were about to touch beak to nose, I barked playfully. The ambertail gave an alarmed chirp in return and ran off, hiding behind the log with the two others.

It didn't take long before their faces peeked above the log again, bright eyes filled with curiosity. I hoped they'd lose interest in me, as I wasn't really in the mood. Their agility just reminded me that I was barely able to move.

I looked at the thorns. Would Thoysal come for me, or would he abandon me like my momma had? I didn't want to be alone again, separated for the only person that cared for me. It had already been two days...

Something softly poked against my side. Another ambertail had come close, this time close enough to reach out with its paw and touch me. I just tilted my head. My paw was easily three times as big as the little animal's was.

Carefully, I stood up, coming face to face with the two on the log. The one next to me didn't even reach halfway up my legs. I yipped at them, causing the trio to run off as fast as their paws could take them, wings spread in alarm, their glowing, amber-colored tail in the air behind them.

With a huff, I laid back down, nibbling on a cold coal. It wasn't all that tasty due to its age, but I was hungry, and it was better than nothing. The sun began to set, and I hoped the woman would return soon. There were no logs or twigs I could drag over here to light. I doubted I could even shift in my current state.

I shook my head and continued to nibble on coals as I waited.