『1』

Chapter 1- First Friend

***

《My story starts at the end of eighth grade. Or, what Americans would call eighth grade. I think it's considered third grade in Japan. I can't remember.》

I WALKED INTO THE LIBRARY, holding a stack of books about Greek, Roman, and Norse mythology. It fascinated me so much, it was a bit sad that people were beginning to forget its true history.

《This, as I recall, was where I made my first friend in Japan. He's still one of my best friends today.》

I let the books fall into the book drop, a bit reluctantly. It was like I was giving the stories up, even though I could just check them out again.

'They're not gone forever, stupid,' my familiar, Kiki, said. I sighed.

"I know that," I whispered back. Usually I tended to avoid conversation with Kiki in public, as people still heard me when I talked back to Kiki, so it looked usually looked like I was talking to an ordinary orange tabby cat. It doesn't bode well for good first impressions.

I head to the second floor to find the small mythology section, which also happened to be next to the wide selection of hero magazines, which, to my guilty pleasure, picked one every week to catch up on all the hero gossip. There was a boy looking at the magazines, seemingly deep in thought, but otherwise the section was empty.

《Little did I know that he'd be my downfall... just kidding. Can we cut that? That was a bit cringey. No? Dammit.》

I look over the books, most of which I had read several times, and decided to pick out one of my old favorites: Percy Jackson. Technically, it wasn't exactly mythology per say, but it was an interesting story, and the actual mythology included was accurate, so I figured it couldn't do any harm to reread it.

'Those books are for kids y'know,' Kiki said, blinking at me. 'You should be reading actual sophisticated books.'

"Shut up," I said, a bit louder than intended. The boy in the hero section looked over at me, startled.

"I'm sorry, was I talking out loud?! I'm sorry, it's just a stupid habit of mine. I'm sorry," the boy said, sweating nervously. I shook my head, this kind of situation had happened before.

"I wasn't talking to you. I was just talking to my familiar, Kiki," I said, gesturing to the yellow eyed cat that was following me. I shifted my books to one arm and scooped Kiki up in the other, resulting in a look of betrayal from them. They didn't like being picked up.

The boy looked at Kiki, his timid demeanor fading somewhat. "Familiar?"

"It's my quirk," I explained, wanting to leave this conversation. People usually didn't talk to me after that, leaving it there, which I liked. Most people that met me usually didn't like me, so I tended to avoid them, rather keeping to myself. Kiki was enough company, and enough sass, for me.

"Whoa! So, you can like, summon it? Like mages and stuff? I never thought about that," the boy said enthusiastically. I explained my quirk a bit more《just things you guys already know》which sparked more questions from the freckled teen.

"What gender is it? How long can you summon it? Can it talk to others?" He practically interrogated me with all sorts of questions like this. I answered them as best I could, as some of them I didn't even know myself. The conversation dragged out for a little, which I was surprised to find myself wanting to keep talking to him. Usually, I just made up an excuse to stop talking to people. We talked for a bit longer until I realized that I had to be home.

"Um, hey. I have to go, maybe we could talk some more? I'll give you my number," I said, pulling out a paper and pen from my bag and scribbling it down. He took it from me, blushing a bit.