The Lincoln Imp

Authors note:
Before I begin I'd like to say that I'm very excited to share this particular myth with you. Lincoln is my hometown and a very beautiful and historic city. Enjoy the story

According to a 14th-century legend, two mischievous creatures called imps were sent by Satan to do evil work on Earth. After causing mayhem in Northern England, the two imps headed to Lincoln Cathedral, where they smashed tables and chairs and tripped up the Bishop. When an angel came out of a book of hymns and told them to stop, one of the imps was brave and started hurling rocks at the angel, but the other imp cowered under the broken tables and chairs. The angel turned the first imp to stone, giving the second imp a chance to escape. It is said that even on still days it is always windy around the cathedral, which is the second imp circling the building looking for his friend. There are many variations on Lincoln Imp legends. According to one popular legend, the imp which escaped fled north to Grimsby, where it soon began making trouble. It entered St. James Church and began repeating its behaviour from Lincoln Cathedral. The angel reappeared and gave the imp's backside a good thrashing before turning it to stone as it had the first imp at Lincoln. The "Grimsby Imp" can still be seen in St James' Church, clinging to its sore bottom. Another legend has the escaped imp turned to stone just outside the cathedral, and sharp-eyed visitors can spot it on a South outside wall.

Imps are often shown as small in stature and not very attractive creatures. Their behavior is described as being wild and uncontrollable. Though imps are sometimes regarded similar to fairies depending on which culture is depicting them; the Lincoln Imps are seen as much more wicked and malevolent.