Mezo Shoji

My fear (Shoji x reader) 10,000 words

People found (Y/n) uncomfortable to be around. She rarely spoke and hid her face behind her hair, this creeped a lot of her peers out and made them keep their distance. (Y/n) knew of this happening but didn't care, all that mattered to her was study. Her parents were always away on business trips and she had no friends, this gave her plenty of time to work on school projects and read. She was fond of books, mainly because they occupied her time.

Something that no one else knew about her was that she was an insomniac, she found it difficult to sleep so she rarely did. If she ever did sleep, her mind would be filled with her deepest fears and she would wake up in cold sweat. To avoid this, she stayed awake and read. It was a drawback of her quirk, people would be afraid of her if they knew about it but no one ever got close enough to find out.

Shoji had never spoken to (Y/n) before but he knew of her, he had once heard Kaminari and Mineta talking about her. Their words weren't the kindest and that left the masked boy feeling sympathetic towards her. But in the end, it didn't matter. He didn't know her, nor did he plan on approaching her.

One afternoon, Shoji was given an assignment by his homeroom teacher, one which would take a long time to complete. It required a lot of research so he decided to get it over and done with early, heading to the library earlier than any of his peers.

Entering the large, book filled room, he began looking for the necessary books for his assignment. There were over 8 that he needed to find, getting a few extra with the hope of a better grade. During their last grading he was ranked 10th in the class, it was average and he wished to improve his academic performance as well as his heroic one.

Twenty minutes had passed and he had found every single book he needed, settling at an isolated table to begin his research. His opened one of the books and began reading through, using his free second pair of hands to write notes down, an eye extending out of his left hand to watch the notes being written. His system seemed to work well, quickly powering through half of the thick book within a few hours of study.

At the end, he had covered over 3 pages with notes. He smiled softly behind his mask, pleased with his work. Planning to leave soon, he placed a bookmark in his book and closed it, jumping in fright at the sight of a girl sitting across from him.

Noticing that he was looking at you, you met his gaze. Shoji immediately recognized you, knowing who you were by the hair that covered your face. But you looked different, some of your hair was pushed back behind your ear, revealing you tired, bloodshot eyes. Noticing the shocked look on his face, you stood up, sighing. Pulling your book to your chest, you bowed to the tall boy.

"I apologize," you croaked out, turning around to walk away. But you were surprised when you heard him call out.

"Wait." You turned around, meeting his gaze.

"You can stay if you want," he said, looking back at the chair you were sitting in. You reluctantly returned to the table, awkwardly sitting in front of the boy with your eyes downcast. It was silent in the library, making the atmosphere even more uncomfortable.

"Please don't feel bad if you don't want me to be here, I can sense your discomfort," you spoke up, meeting his gaze. He was a lot bigger that you, taller and stronger built. He shook his head, a mouth extended from where his right hand should be.

"I don't think that there's anything wrong with your company, your presence just surprised me." You smiled lightly down at your lap, not used to someone giving you a chance.