Chapter 12

Aiden's POV

 It seemed like they'd been staring at each other for hours when it had only been a couple minutes since Keith came through his front door. Aiden was only an innocent bystander in this battle of the eyes between His sister and Keith. They'd always been close, he was always around as Alaine grew up so she knew him as basically another brother. And Keith knew her as a sister, so it was hard breaking the news to Keith but it was more than necessary.

They glared at each other the tension between them seeming to deepen. This was somewhat soothing compared to how he reacted the first few days though. Bustling through Aiden's front door uninvited, not like he needed an invitation anymore, and furious.

"Where is she?" He remembered Keith hissing as he looked around the room frantically. "I promise I'm going to rip her to pieces. Where is she?"

Aiden could remember smiling inwardly because he felt the exact same way when he'd first discovered it too. But he had to be calmed down and so did Keith, as he was. She couldn't be pressured much now. It could only hurt her.

Now though he was making his point very clear and Aiden cleared his throat slightly trying to but a break  up the somewhat fiery current running between their locked eyes. Keith didn't drop eye contact but set something down on the a nearby table mumbling, "I got you something."

 Aiden recognized them immediately as Alaine's favorite candles. Keith was already headed to Aiden's room.

Aiden followed pausing briefly to kiss his sister's forehead. "Maybe start reading?"He said referring to the book he gave her when he'd gotten home earlier.His voice was always low and suggestive with his sister unless he was thoroughly pissed. But lately it had gotten even quieter and a little pleading. He kissed her forehead again and then continued up to his room without another word.

As Aiden pushed through his bedroom door he saw Keith raking a hand through his hair. He looked so frustrated now, Aiden felt sorry for him. He could only imagine what he was going through without the burden of his sister riding on his mind and now, he must be going insane. "It's not as--"

"I dont want to talk about it." Keith cut him off quickly, leaning back on the bean bag he'd dropped himself on.

Aiden dropped onto his bed an

d gazed up at the ceiling. "Okay, well how's every--"

"That either." He cut him off. Aiden glanced over slightly to see Keith's eyes were boring holes into the wall.

"Then what man?" He tried not to sound sympathetic, knowing he'd probably get punched for it. Keith hated sympathy, getting it not giving it. They were alike in that way and so many others. He was truly like a brother to him. He watched as Keith's frustrated look melted into a slight smile.

"I talked to her today."

 Sitting up immediately Aiden stared at Keith in disbelief. He's liked this girl since the end of freshman year and he hasn't said two words to her and now suddenly he's talked to her? "You finally grew some balls man? What happened? What'd you say?"

Keith put both hands up telling Aiden to calm down. "I didn't say much. Just hi and stuff. But we're studying together tomorrow night." A wide grin spread across his face and Aiden couldn't help but mirror it. "I'm so nervous man. And hey, I told Stella and said i was coming over to let you know. I wanted her to come with me but she didn't seem too happy to be invited."

Aiden felt his smile melt away slowly, a weird feeling brewing in the pit of his stomach. How was he going to apologize to Stella? More importantly how was he going to let her know he thinks he loves her. And most importantly, does she love him back?