Chapter 18

Song in multimedia: Kodak Black- Time Never Mattered

January 2, 2020

After almost a week at Disney World, Ebony and her loved ones conquered all the parks. They spent New Year's Eve at Animal Kingdom for a second time and New Year's Day at Magic Kingdom. Mike enjoyed the bonding experience with Ebony and so did she. Today was their last full day in Florida and everyone spent half of it at the Disney water parks.

It was now eight o'clock at night and Mike and Ebony were back in their room, awaiting her brothers phone call so she could join the family at Disney's movie night. The movie night would be at the resort, outside on a big projection screen. They would have snacks for everyone while showing the 2019 release of Aladdin. Dressed and ready, Ebony and Mike sat on the bed in the quiet room.

"My legs got a la' tan, but my feet still pale." Ebony observed her legs.

"I don't see how. You wore sandals the whole time." Mike took a look.

"I know, it's always like that." She said as someone knocked on the door.

"Ooo, that scared me. I told them to call." Ebony stood to look out the peephole.

Opening the door, Ebony faced her four brothers. All of their faces were blank and Hakeem looked down at the ground. She stared at them, wondering where everyone else was. From the bed, Mike looked at the door and he could tell something was wrong. Xavier cleared his throat and stepped inside the room, telling Ebony to take a seat.

"For what? Keem what's wrong with you?" Ebony took a step back, staring into Hakeem's red eyes.

"Sit down, Ebony." Xavier grabbed her arm.

"Just say whatever it is. Get it out the way." She sat down, placing her fingernail in her mouth.

"Tyriq died." Xavier told her, causing Hakeem to let tears fall.

"Our cousin?" She asked, even though she only knew one Tyriq.

"Yeah. A few hours ago." Demetrius said.

"Nope. Teedy would've called me. Who told y'all that?" She stood and yanked her phone off the charger.

"Auntie told us. He got in a real bad accident."

"Teedy didn't tell y'all that! Why ain't she call me?! If Tyriq dead for real...I don't wanna be here! We need to go home!" Ebony nervously unlocked her phone, locked it back, and unlocked it again.

"He did die, she wouldn't call and say that for no reason." Rashad stood against the wall.

Ebony began to weep and her brothers gathered around her for a hug. Tyriq was Sharon's youngest son, a year and a half older than Hakeem. They were raised together and lived under the same roof for about a decade—he was Ebony's extended brother. Growing up, they didn't always get along, but they were family and they were close. To hear that he was gone was painful and unbelievable.

"We gotta go." She grabbed her suitcase.

"We can't check out until tomorrow. First thing tomorrow we'll be on the road." Xavier told her.

"Man, fuck that. We got a family emergency."

"The kids don't know yet and we don't want them freaking out. They already ready to see whatever the fuck movie they playing. I wanna go home too, I swear to God I do. But let them enjoy this. Just calm down." Rashad said with tears in his eyes.

"You can stay in the room and not go if you not feeling it. That's what I'm doing. I'm a get some rest because I'm sure I won't be getting any once we hit the road." Xavier gave her another hug before walking to the door.