Chapter 30

Song in multimedia: Treety- 9th Ward

Flat ironing her natural hair in Mike's bathroom mirror, Ebony got herself together to meet his dad for the first time. Mike was nervous, yet excited for her to finally meet him. This was important to him and he hoped everything would go well. He even talked with his father the other night to make sure he wouldn't do or say anything to piss her off.

But after a successful Lent, Ebony was feeling pretty positive and cleansed—she felt like no one could ruin that. A couple of weeks had passed since Lent ended and things were more than great for her. Her relationship survived without sex and although being tempted plenty of times, neither one of them gave in. Instead, they had bible study once a week and tried new things to keep them occupied until the fast was over.

"Say, love we gotta get going. We can't be late." Mike stood behind Ebony.

"K. Should I put on some mascara or something? I feel so plain wearing just gloss with my real hair." She unplugged her flat irons.

"No, you look beautiful as is. I love when you out and natural." He kissed the side of her neck.

"But I thought you loved bitches with long weave and fake nails?" She jokingly asked.

"Shut up. I do, but it's still nice to see you comfortable in ya' own skin. Without them tight ass wigs on. It's a special type of turn on when you can go out without the extra shit." They both exited the bathroom.

"Men are weird. I thought you would've thought I was ugly without wigs and lashes. I don't give a fuck if you did, but just saying."

"No. Why would I think that?" Mike grabbed his car keys.

"Because you have a certain type. Sometimes I don't look like the type of hoes you like." She shrugged as they headed out to the car.

"I'm not expecting you to look like a model at all times, let's be realistic. Either way you bad as fuck to me."

"That makes sense. You love on me even when I need to shave."

"About that." Mike chuckled.

"Forget you." She pushed his shoulder.

Mike took his time driving up to the prison his father was held at. When they made it, they went inside and headed to the waiting room. When it was time, they went through security check and then the family area where visitations were held. Mike nervously chewed on his bottom lip as he watched his dad walk to the table. Ebony had seen pictures of Jeff before so she waved at the sight of him.

Approaching them was a medium built man who obviously spent time working out. His height was about the same as his sons, maybe a bit taller. Jeff had a clean haircut so Ebony focused on that while fighting the urge to look below the belt. Although he had salt and pepper stubbles on his face, he had a young appearance.

"Ooo, he look good in person." She said under her breath.

"What?" Mike asked her.

"Boy, yo parents fine. That's what." Ebony had no shame in her opinion.

"Please don't embarrass me, Ebony." He whispered as Jeff sat down with a smile.

"I don't know what that means." She responded with a slight giggle.

"What's up, y'all." Jeff greeted them.

"Daddy, this is Ebony."

"Hey, baby. You can call me Jeff." He kept his hands on the table, following protocol.

"Nice to meet you." Ebony smiled.

"She do have a pretty smile...Mike told me you had a pretty smile." Jeff made direct eye contact, but that didn't intimidate Ebony any.