chapter 3

Maura's POV

I was at the morgue when Jane came in. She had a worried look on her face. I asked her what was wrong, and she just stood over the body and looked at it. I still couldn't believe the dead body was my sister. I vaguely remember playing a with another little girl when i was a toddler. But I haven't seen her since. I wondered what life she led. What kind of a person was she? What was her occupation? Was she married? Most importantly, why didn't Constance mention her? Jane's voice snapped me back into reality. I realized I was staring at my now dead half sister. Jane had finally spoken up about why she looked so worried. 

"Annalise had children."

It took me awhile to process the information. Longer than it should have. Annalise had children... Her kids... they could still be in danger! I frantically ran out of the room, with Jane trying to follow. I didn't know what I was doing, but somehow, I knew I needed to get her children to safety. I just had to. Running up the stairs, completely ignoring the people I pushed out of the way, thoughts of little kids dead started to haunt me. I didn't even know Annalise had children. I heard Jane shouting at me to stop, but my legs wouldn't stay. Jane caught up to me, and yanked me back. 

"Maura, you can't just leave like that! I know you want those children safe, and I do, too! But your job is to look at the body. NOT run around like a maniac. You didn't even let me finish. We already have people out looking for the kids. Any minute now, they will find them. As soon as our people get the kids into to safety, I'll tell you. But, for right now, I think it would be best for you to go back to the morgue. I'll be at my computer if you need me, but please don't leave the morgue."

I grudgingly agreed and went back to Annalise's body. After what seemed like eternity, my cell rang. It was Jane. The kids were safe. Thank goodness! I went to meet them, and was immediately put under their spell. They were so adorable! Annalise had left behind baby twin girls, a little three year old boy, and another boy who was six. They were too young to have lost a mother. No child should be without a mother. My heart melted when the baby girls started to coo. I asked who would take care of them. No one answered. It was like they were afraid to tell me. Jane finally spoke up.

"Maura, Annalise had a will... and in her will, she said who would take care of her kids when she was gone. It said that... you would take care of them.... But it's okay! We are working on it so you won't have to take the kids."

Annalise put me in her will? I felt honored! I could take care of the kids... With a little help... anyways, it's the least I could do for my half sister. I owed this to her. I couldn't let the kids be brought up by complete strangers. Or, even worse, bounce around in foster homes. They were so little, so innocent. They didn't deserve that.

"No! I'll take care of them. They are my nieces and nephews after all. I mean, how hard can it be?"

Jane looked as if she was about to laugh. I could tell she was trying very hard not to, when she pulled me aside to discuss the matter. I didn't know what she was going to say. I didn't think there was anything to discuss. But, as usual, Jane started counting off many ridiculous reasons why shouldn't take care of my sister's kids. Of course, I get that she thought I didn't have time, but I could deal with that. What really hurt me, was that Jane just didn't think I was capable of raising a kid. Much less four. I was tired of her telling me what to do, so I walked out of the conversation. I couldn't deal with her right now. I had four kids to take care of.