Chapter 5

Maura's POV

The kids are asleep, and so is Jane. It's eight am in the morning and today is the day I'm meeting up with constance. We've agreed that she should come to my house, and we would discuss Annalise here. Constance should be here around noon, so i've decided to make some lunch for us.

I'm so not ready for this. I'm usually poised and composed, but today I feel like a wreck. I try cooking up a nice simple lunch, but end up getting a massive migrain instead, so I decide to just order in. Jane thankfully will be staying with the kids in their room while I talk with Constance. She helped me prepare what I would say to her, and what I would say about Annalise. It's very hard for me to forget things so easily, but don't think I remember what Jane and I prepared at all... I'm wrapped up in trying to figure out what I'm supposed to say to Constance, when suddenly the door bell rings. I'm caught by surprise, and the world is spinning. But I fight through my anxiety and manage to open the door. It's not yet noon, but I have a feeling constance couldn't wait any longer.

I'm greeted by Constance Isles... and someone else.

Her husband.

This meeting just got a whole lot worse.

I haven't seen my adoptive father in a long time, and am taken aback at his presence. But nonetheless, I usher them into my living room, and we get seated. The conversation first starts as a catching up, where have you been, how have you been doing. Then the subject everyone has been waiting to talk about is put out in the open. But not the way you'd think.

"Maura! Who was that at the door? Has Constance come early to talk about Annalise?"

Jane poked her head out of the kids' bedroom. My parents are surprised. Their shocked expression on their faces told me everything. I hurriedly tried to explain who Jane was to them, but they cut me off.

"Who is this?" Constance asks.

"Hi, I'm Jane, BPD homicide detective."

"Is she... Are you... And her?"

"No!" We both reply at the same time.

Jane and I are great friends, but not THAT great.

I explained how jane was helping me take care of the kids, soon the whole situation was forgotten. We were back to talking about Annalise... And her death.

---

Hey guys! Sorry this is a short chapter. I will get into the meeting with more detail, but I just needed a filler for now.