Chapter 4

Mornings weren't always bad, even on the most horrendous nights. John would have minor pain, but if he stayed in bed a bit longer than normal it'd be gone in an hour or so.

Dreary eyes opened to a coffee table with pills and a glass of water. John took the pills, making sure to identify them as ibuprofen instead of some drug. He was tired but not too tired to be unaware of his unfamiliar surroundings.

He swallowed them dry, taking a chug of water afterwards before leaning back on the couch.

After a couple of minutes, realization dawned on him.

"Where the fuck am I."

He heard a snicker, and John whipped around fast, ingoring the soft pound of the headache.

"Jeez it took you that long to realize? Honestly Id try to be more aware once i wake up."

John rolled his eyes, taking notice to the mans peculiar figure.

Big baggy shirt, pale skin, pajama pants that covered his socked feet. His hair was unruly and stuck in every direction.

"You look like a mom leaning against the door frame like that."

"Oh should i cross my arms too?"

John laughed a bit, nodding as he watched the stranger fold his arms across his chest.

"There you go, the perfect Mom pose."

The silence was quick to return, making it awkward.

"Yeah- so uhm, want breakfast?" He stuttered out. "So hospitable to a stranger."

"Oh really? Cause i could just kick your ass out of my house with literally nothing but what you came in with, plus being in an unknown neighborhood? Damn, that'd suck."

John froze on the couch, eyes wide at the stranger. "Oh my god im not gonna do that, get up. If you want food help me make it." "But i dont know where anything is."

"Are you- okay. Ill tell you where everything is, now get up and help or ill really kick you out of my damn house."

John scrambled up to his feet, nearly tripping on his way. He followed the suprisingly shorter man (youd think with such big talk he'd be tall) towards the kitchen.

"Grab the eggs, sausage and hashbrowns, ill get the rest."

"Whats your name?" The stranger stopped his movements, looking back to John.

"Jaren Smith, you?"

"John Keyes. Nice to meet you stranger." "Technically we aren't strangers anymore, now are we?"

John gave Jaren a smile, as a feeling he hadnt felt in a long time bubbled up to the surface. "Yeah, youre right."