Chapter 7

I couldn't tell what time of day it was based on the sky. It looked as though the sun were coming up over the broken horizon, but it could've been the middle of the night. All of us had left the inside of the broken ship to try and come up with some sort of plan to deal with Thanos. We needed him to come here, and we could take that gauntlet from him, or at least one of the stones, to stop him. We couldn't let him complete that gauntlet, otherwise half the universe would die.

        "The hell happened to this planet?" Peter asked, taking slow steps forward as he held up an orientation device. "It's eight degrees off its axis. Gravitational pull is all over the place."

        "Yeah, we got one advantage." I tried to keep my eyes trained on Tony Stark as Mantis jumped around in the background, testing the low gravity. "He's coming to us. We'll use it." He turned around to look at Mantis bouncing and Peter Parker looking around at the planet as though he were lost. "All right. I have a plan. Or at least the beginnings of one." I nodded my head and stepped closer to show I was listening. "It's pretty simple. We draw him in, pin him down, get what we need."

        "Definitely don't want to dance with this guy," I sighed, crossing my arms. "We just want the gauntlet."

        "Are you yawning?" I followed Tony's point to Drax, who was, in fact, letting out a big yawn while Mantis looked at him as though she'd never seen one before. "In the middle of this, while I'm breaking it down? Did you hear what I said"

        "I stopped listening after you said 'we need a plan'," he admitted, not sounding the least bit ashamed.

        "Okay, Mr. Clean is on his own page." I raised an eyebrow at Tony, wondering who this 'Mr. Clean' he was comparing to Drax was. Maybe he was someone famous on Earth?

        "See, 'not winging it' isn't really what they do," Peter tried to explain.

        "It's true. We tend to just sort of rush in without a plan. And if anyone just happens to make one it's... generally ignored."

        "What exactly is it that they do?" Peter Parker asked, pointing in the general direction of Drax and Mantis.

        "Kick names, take ass," Mantis answered confidently.

        "Yeah, that's right."

        "No, honey," I sighed, shaking my head at her and giving a look as though she were a child. Tony stared at the pair in disbelief, mouth hanging open slightly as he attempted to form some sort of response to their childishness.

        "All right, just get over here, please." Drax and Mantis continued to linger in their spot. "Mr. Lord, can you get your folks to circle up?" I scoffed as a smirk formed on Peter's face.

        "God, please don't boost his ego," I begged, looking at Tony through the cage of the hand my head rested in.

        "'Mr. Lord. 'Star Lord' is fine." He flicked his head over toward Tony and Peter Parker to get our pair to come closer, and for whatever reason, they listened. Normally, they didn't respect Peter. 

         "We gotta coalesce. 'Cause if all we come at him with is a plucky attitude— "

         "Dude, don't call us plucky," Peter interrupted. "We don't know what it means."

         "You may not know what it means; clearly some of us are better educated than others."

         "Allyson, how is that possible? You've literally never been to school once." I heard Tony clear his throat, drawing Peter and my attention back to him. "All right, we're optimistic, yes. I like your plan. Except it sucks, so let me do the plan and that way it might be really good."