A Shifting Prologue

Late into the year 2985, the largest vessel in the Triforian fleet crept upon the black sky of the cosmos, enveloped almost completely by cloaking technology. From the bridge, a bright blue ball grew larger on the viewscreen while a tall man with long, dark hair watched over the sight with a devilish frown.

From behind him, a slightly younger Axis walked to his side and rested his right fist above his heart. "General Pyreus, sir. KO-35 is preparing countermeasures. They must have predicted our strike. But... how? A spy in our ranks, perhaps?"

Pyreus moved not a muscle inside his frown as his sharp glare keep focused on the ever-expanding planet in front of him. "I'm well aware of their countermeasures, Lieutenant. After all, I kept some of our ship uncloaked for a reason."

"My General...?" asked Axis concernedly. "I'm afraid I don't understand."

"Hmph, a rare thing for you, Lieutenant... You do remember what you told me just a month ago, correct?"

Axis turned his gaze to the floor to think it over. "Ah, yes. I simply thought it curious... There were reports of a strange man coated in a gaudy red uniform appearing one day out of the blue, disrupting the celebrations for the universe's new Queen. Such an event would likely circulate greatly around the intergalactic channels, to say nothing of the speculation that would come of it. And yet, the story vanished... as if it never happened."

Pyreus made a motion with his hand. A pair of henchmen slowed down the ship to a halt as enemies started appearing on sensors.

A younger Lieutenant South oversaw the sensors with a confused raise of the brow. "My General, only four ships in attack position."

Pyreus nodded. "Hmph, they believe we've arrived in a single vessel. How foolish."

Axis' eyes widened. "You mentioned cloaking some of our ship... You kept this ship undetectable while one of our smaller fighters remained active to bait out their forces. Impressive."

"About time you caught on..." Pyreus' frown suddenly mutated into a terrifying sneer. "Hehehe... Kill them."

The viewscreen showed a quartet of yellow colored lasers slicing through the silver KO-35 ships. The white explosions painted themselves against the blue backdrop.

Axis crossed his arms with a slight smirk. "Excellent work, as always, My General."

Pyreus took a deep breath in and out while outstretching his hands. From out of the tips of his fingers, ten individual fires flickered. He tensed his muscles, forcing the flames to slowly grow. But a few moments later, the flames petered out, leaving Pyreus slightly short of breath.

"My General? What's wrong?" asked Axis.

"Hmph, I thought as much." Pyreus stared directly at Axis, reattaching a frown to his face. "I have traveled the stars for over a decade to prepare for the day we overthrow 'Her Highness.' When that day comes, build a better Triforia than the one our forefathers left us."

"My General...?"

Pyreus closed his eyes. "War... it's all I've ever known..."

Suddenly, more KO-35 ships started appearing on sensors; several times more.

Pyreus lifted up his right hand. "All pilots, head to your fighter vessels and engage. Make sure there are no survivors."

"Yes, sir!!!"

A handful of warriors and henchmen from the bridge ran out to prepare themselves for the dogfight ahead.

Axis nodded his head and followed them.