Chapter 9

"What do you mean by, 'where it all started'?" I try to bring my hands up to create quotation marks, only I don't get far. When I try to bend my arms a shot of pain shoots up my arm.

"Like I said. Let's visit our homes, where we are from," He explains. The excitement growing the more he starts thinking about it.

"Why?" My eyebrows furrow in confusion at his suggestion.

"For ideas. He said it had to be unique. Why not make it about ourselves? Our Zodiacs I mean," I stare at him as his words turn in my head.

"You know..." the words slowly leave my mouth. "You're not...that is not a bad...idea..."

"I know!" He says like a child. His eyes close just as his cheeky smile returns to his face.

He looks so much like a dog wanting a reward that I reach out and pat his head. His eyes pop open and he stares at me for a few seconds. His smile slightly dropping, but only for a second.

"Scratch my ear," he tilts his head as he pulls his legs out from under him. I watch him confused before reaching behind his ear. The top layer of his soft brown hair, laying on my fingers. I move my fingers in a scratching motion. Almost instantly, he starts tapping his foot on the ground.

"Silly," I burst into laughter once I realize what he was mimicking. His laugh intertwines with mine making me stop scratching. I pull my hand back.

"We should go to bed," he sighs getting up off the ground. Once out of the way and by the door, I get up as well and follow him out. "You can sleep in here," he swings open a door revealing a medium size bedroom.

"Is this a guest room?" I walk into the room. The decorations making me think it isn't his bedroom. Pictures of an older woman, who I assumed was his mom, with a child in her arms sat in on a dresser by the door.

"No, it's my mom's. Don't worry. She isn't coming home tonight," He explains when he sees my eyes widen. "You see I would have given you some of her clothes instead of mine, but she's not a big fan of me going through her clothes. But that's because when I was little I would try to wear her clothes- which as a toddler was way too big- and I would end up getting food on them. So she stopped trusting me with her clothes." He shrugs. His casual response makes me laugh.

"What about your dad?" I ask as I walk up to the picture and pick it up.

"He doesn't live here. He lives on Astraea," he explains. I set the picture down and see that there are a few more around the room. None of them with who would seem to be his father.

"Why?" Curiosity coats my voice as I walk over to the bed and set down.

"My parents aren't exactly together anymore," he sighs.

"Oh I'm sorry," I say feeling the urge to apologize.

"Not your fault," he mutters as he backs to the door. "Anyways, Goodnight. See you in the morning." He throws a large smile before closing the door.

I pull back the blanket and slide underneath. Once settled, I stare up at the ceiling. It takes me a few more minutes before my eyes shut and I fall asleep.

I wake up to the first rays of sun coming through the window. I lay there on the mattress for a few more minutes before crawling out. I slide my legs over the edge and pick myself up off the bed.

I hear a knock on the door. Slightly groggy, I walk over and open the door. I lean my head against the door as I open it.

"Here are some clothes for you to wear,"

"Where did you get them?" I give him a puzzled look. His mouth opens, ready to answer when I hear my phone vibrate. I hold up my finger singling him to wait and walk over to where my phone was at. On the lock screen, I see that it was a text message from Sarai.