12| Loyalty of the Deku

When the group was taken out of the cell-lined hallway, Link expected to endure another long walk to wherever the captain was

When the group was taken out of the cell-lined hallway, Link expected to endure another long walk to wherever the captain was. That fortunately wasn't the case this time.

   They emerged into another, longer hall with several branching paths. At the far end of the hall was a staircase that led up and was guarded by a duo of Dewpider. They were taken to the end of the hall before turning one of the corners by the stairs.

   As they walked, Link was able to get a better look at his surroundings. The walls, floor, and even ceiling were made from wood like his cell had been. All it would take was a stray ember from one careless Fire Pokémon to set the whole place ablaze. Even stranger was the manner of which it was constructed. Link didn't know a thing about proper architecture, but he was pretty sure that ceilings needed supports. Not a single one could be seen; it was like this place had been carved into a giant block of wood.

The corner they were taken around opened up into a room several times larger than the cell Link had been kept in. Its furnishings were sparse, mostly consisting of spear-lined weapons racks and low, long benches with a single table at the room's end. Another group of five, red-leafed Deku awaited them.

These Deku were different from the ones that brought them here. Four were armed with spears while the fifth held no weapon. The red leaf upon the fifth's head had a noticeable yellow diamond-shaped marking in its center, and Link knew this was the captain.

"Good morning. I am Caedmon Dékken, captain of the Deku Border Guard," the captain greeted warmly, to Link's surprise, "is what I would say if we were meeting under better circumstances."

There was the hostility.

"You five were in violation of the Hylian-Deku Border Agreement," he continued. "No Hyrule nor Deku citizen shall come within fifty yards of either kingdom's borders without permission of their Border Guard. What say you in your defense?"

"We apologize for the intrusion, sir," Zelda said. "But we can explain. Though, I would like to ask for permission for my Braxien to use telepathy, as our Aegislash would like to help prove our case as well. I promise we will not attack you."

Caedmon squinted in suspicion at Zelda. He then turned his gaze to Link, who held it firmly. He finally looked to Resa. After a moment of pondering, he sighed. "Very well. But the moment he tries anything, we will not hesitate to defend ourselves."

"Of course," Zelda said. Fira's eyes took on a light purple hue, and he nodded at his Trainer.

Forgive us, sir. Resa offered her own apologies. We were searching for the Temple of Farore when we became lost, and we must have wandered too close to your border. Surely there mustn't be too large a penalty for those who seek to worship our fair goddesses.