Chapter 5: A Rival?! Bitter Woman!

The day began lazy.

Firstly I strained to get up from the confines of my bed, being far too warm in its hold. Then I felt myself being smacked in the face with a knitted object, and I jolted forward with the speed of a kunai thrown. Finding unexpected, a doll resting peacefully on my pillow, with glass eyes looking to me, almost with a laughing disposition. The one who threw it had his little arms crossed, appearing bored, yet oddly mocking along with his best friend.

"Ya little punk!" My pillow launched itself at his face, and I certainly had absolutely nothing to do with it flying from my hand. Snickering when it ended up hitting the sassy child in the face, causing him to fall down. In trying to throw it back it kind of just flopped beside the futon instead, it was a cute attempt because of how small he is, being practically the size of the pillow itself. I got a large pout for my not well hidden snickers, he also attempted to glare at me.

"Meanie!" I flicked away the covers, challenge invoked.

"Oh yea?!"I grappled him with the best tickle I could manage, going for under the knees. He squealed firstly then giggled so loud I was afraid of him waking Sakumo. Still, I obviously had to win! He continued to laugh as I tickled his under arms and sides. That cute small child voice that I don't think I've really heard him do before as any child should. However, the pounding footsteps made me panic for a second, stopping as Kakashi cried in continuous hiccups. Sakumo burst through the door with a severe expression on his face, almost glaring down at us.

I froze at the look and his positioning, poised for attack. He must have confused the laughing for fright, so taking my chances I tried giving him a smile. After a moment he calmed down, and the aura of deadly chakra he had been releasing evaporated. In place of apology for thinking me a murderer he scratched at the back of his head in embarrassment, smiling with closed eyes.

I and Kakashi laughed.

Breakfast was slightly burnt around the edges, being the sardonic child, Kakashi commented that it was because his father had cooked and not me. Despite the rather odd tasting eggs, I enjoyed the movie, and despite his remarks Kakashi cleaned his plate without anything else said. I took to cleaning the dishes, only my hands had been cold last night so the warm or rather, hot water was a pleasant change. Sakumo touched at my shoulder to draw my attention, a serious contrite expression worn.

I have so far only been here for two weeks, so I don't know the man very well, but it was a look I haven't seen on him before. "I leave on my mission this afternoon." I think I'd been trying to unconsciously forget that. The same S-rank mission that he'd been making ready for since Jiraiya had brought the scroll containing the details. Neither me nor his son had been happy about the event, though in childhood innocence Kakashi mainly ignored it and the repercussions that followed the information. "Kakashi will be with his Mother for the most part, and you'll likely be watched by an ANBU, just to be safe."

I mulled it over, but it wasn't hard to understand, and ended up nodding rather absently. "How long will you be gone ya think?" He breathed out a sigh, running a hand through his hair, taking the tie out of it in the process. Letting the beautiful silver threads fall freely, which was new. My eyes were immediately drawn to it, and I adjusted grabbed the hair so usually caught in his ponytail, making them instead frame his face. Bringing him an entirely different look, where before he was rather scraggly making him appear like a too kind businessman. With his hair down and around his face, it nearly completely changed his visage into that of a stoic and chivalrous gentleman with an almost harsh disposition.

"Naruto-kun?" I hadn't noticed I was playing with his hair, but in my defence!- It is very smooth... Still I withdrew my hand rather fast. He brushes it off as if it never happened, and I'm glad for it, though he does raise an eyebrow at my stealing his hair band and putting it on my wrist. Seen as I mine isn't long enough to pull back. "Normally an S-rank is around a month-" I jump at that, no longer smug that I had pulled his hair away, that was.. Long, at least by my standards. I had been thinking far shorter, then again, maybe I had only been hoping that it would be a short exposition.