The Reaping

Part 1

I woke up this morning lying next to my sister Prim. I decided to get up and go to the woods to calm down a little bit, ièm so nervous. Well of course im nervous it's reaping day. I slip on my boots and i'm out the door. When I get to the fence I make sure its not charged before I slip under. I start to walk into the woods while thinking ''this is we're I belong''. I see a deer, I can't believe it! I haven't seen a deer in over a year. I aim and i'm ready to shoot when a rock hits and scares away the deer. Who could have possibly done this? I look behind me and I see Gale(My hunting partner, my best friend).

''Gale? How could you''.

All he says is ''What are you going to do with that''

''Ugh probably eat it'' I say.

He sits there and thinks a little bit. Lets go have breakfast he says. We walk up the hill to the very top where we always sit and have breakfast. I take out the cheese Prim left for me from her goat. Right then Gale takes a piece of bread.

''Where did you get that?'' I ask curiously.

''The bakery duh'' he says

''But...but how'' I gasp

''I gave the baker a squirle and he gave me this in return'' he says splitting the bread in half.

He gives me one half and keeps the other for himself.

''Happy Hunger Games'' He says

''And may the odds be ever in you're favor'' I say in the funny capitol accent.

After we finish breakfast I hurry home to get ready for the reaping. As a walk in Prim is wearing a beautiful dress. It has a white top with a yellow bottom. It's what I wore to my first reaping. Since Prim is now 12 it will be her first year in the reaping. Her name has only been in there once. It goes from the ages 12 to 18. When your 12 your name goes in there once, when your 13 twice and so on so on. Unless you take the tesserae, which means you put your name in more times for a year of oil and grain. I have taken the tesserae and today my name is in there big glass bowl 20 times. I more worried about Gale who has also signed up for the tesserae, his name is in there bowl 42 times. I walk over to Prim and say

'Look at you, you look beautiful''

''I layed something out for you too'' says my mother.

I haven't talked to her or even accepted her help very often ever since she totally tuned out after my father died, and left me to take care of Prim.

''Ok'' I say quietly

I walk away and to the bath room to have a bath. It was a cold beth because we only have cold water unless we decide to boil it, which we didn't today. Once i'm done my bath I walk into my room and see my mothers blue dress. This is the dress she only wears to weddings and fancy events. I put on the dress and then walk out. I accept my mothers help when she does my hair.

''Now you look beautiful too'' she says.

''I wish I looked like you'' says Prim.

''Oh no. I wish I looked like you Prim'' I say

Right then we hear the big loud bell which means its time to gather around the justice building for the reaping. We walk to the justice buliding sign in and then walk to our spots.

Effie Trinket walks out with a rediculous pink wig on.

''Happy Hunger Games'' she says

''And may the odds be ever in your favor''

'As usual, ladys first''

She puts her hand in the huge bowl and then walks back over to the microphone and says

''Katniss Everdeen''

WHAT? I'm in shock all I can do is walk over to the stage and stand up.

''Katniss Everdeen'' she says one more time.

''And now for the boys'' she says walking over to the bowl with the boys names in there.

All I can do is think 42 of those say Gale Hawthorne on them.

She picks a name and says

''Peeta Mellark''