Chapter XXVIII

"Carter!" Rob yelled, "Carter where are you?" The Alpha son ran and ran, trying to follow Carter’s scent. He ran for miles until he got to a point where her scent really strong, indicating she had been there for longest, and then simply vanished from the air completely. He was in the middle of the woods. It was impossible for a wolf's scent to disappear! Carter couldn't have just vanished… Rob mentally berated himself, he shouldn't have told her to run! She was defenceless in her human form and she might have been quite fast but there was no chance she outran her pursuers. Rob could smell the other wolves twisting around her scent and decided that that was the factor that was going to lead him to Carter. He followed the mixture of scents and they led him straight to the Crowborn border. Goddess, damn it! Those backstabbing bastards! Rob gripped his hair and began pacing the line. He looked up and faced the giant hill that blocked his view. Rob considered charging the territory that very moment. The kidnappers couldn't have gone too far...The only problem was that he would be facing a mountainous amount of problems. He would be on their turf; grounds he had never even seen before. He hadn’t even seen a map before, he would be running blind. His only compass would be scents of the wolves that took Carter. Even then, it was their territory and he didn’t want to chance getting tangled in their past scent trails.  If Rob charged the Crowborn now, he would be ambushed and killed just like his father. Rob continued to pace. He made his mind about not crossing into enemy territory, now he had to make up his mind about what he was going to do. He was thinking fast on his feet, but only one solution spoke out to him. He needed to go to Alpha Phillip, he need to rally Carter's pack and convince them the Crowborn betrayed them.

Rob ran as fast as he's legs would still carry him. It hurt him to think Carter was in danger. Tobias was one lucky bastard to have her and yet he abandoned her on a territory that wasn't her own! It was unbelievable, and Rob was furious. He couldn't believe Tobias could deserve Carter especially as he wasn't there for her now to protect her, when she needed him most. He couldn’t understand why the Goddess and her fates were so cruel. He would have been the perfect mate to Carter. She was faultless and deserved the world, and he would have given it to her… Tobias was an idiot to take chances like he had.

Rob furrowed his eyebrows and forced himself to push harder and move faster. The idea of Carter needing hep propelled him. He heard a snarl from behind and before he knew if there was a squad of wolves on his trail. Perfect.  Even at the speed he was going, in human form he didn't have a chance outrunning these guys. He slowed down until he could stop and the wolves circled around him. There was no point in fighting, if he couldn’t get to Markcus on his own as a freeman, he would have to go in handcuffs. He pulled his hands up into the air and took a deep breath.

"You look like a McKenna" A man growled from behind him. Rob turned and was looking at a tall, older man.

"Robert McKenna, Sir, you are correct."

"Your father took my niece, boy. Maybe we should take you, see how he feels." The man's gruff voice snapped.

"Mr Miller, it would be impossible to make my father feel how your family must have felt." Rob muttered coldly.

"Damn right we couldn’t, that bastard is heartless." Carter's uncle spat and the ring of wolves got tighter, more constraining.

"Sir, I need to talk to Alpha Phillip immediately."

"I believe the Alpha told you exactly what would happen if you didn't have Carter with you when you were in our territory. So you can talk to the Alpha from your new home, a cell block."

"Sir-" Rob tried but was interrupted as the man grabbed his arm roughly and shoved him back.

"Shut up, boy. Move it." He demanded and shoved him again.