Catastrophic Circumstances

Another week passed slowly, but at least Harry felt like he was doing something, helping Hermione work her way through Number Twelve's library with the rest of their friends—with Dora mostly as it turned out. Luna, Ginny, and Parvati were spending less time at it, busy as they were with the spell-book which Luna had discovered.

Hermione and Harry had left them to practice by themselves in a cleared-out space in the basement—which Harry felt was an excellent use of their time given that they were as keen as he was to be hunting Death Eaters and looking for Voldemort. There had been one awkward moment though, when Number Twelve trembled and the three in the library had rushed down to the basement to catch the other three in a compromising position.

"Gah! Bloody hell!" Harry shielded his eyes from the sight while Dora and Hermione giggled along with the three nude, redfaced girls still entangled with each other on a mat in the middle of the floor.

"I think it's working," Luna told Hermione, beaming as she peered at the three in the stairwell. "We made a load more than sparks fly this time—it was like fireworks—like when we came across you and Harry by the Black Lake—"

"I'm going back upstairs," said Harry with a sigh, "maybe have a firewhiskey—have fun, guys."

"I think I'll join you," said Dora, shaking her head and smirking and turning to follow Harry upstairs. "Just some coffee for me though," she added when Hermione opened her mouth with a concerned expression on her face.

"You coming, Hermione?" asked Harry, who was still shielding his eyes.

"In a few minutes, Harry," she replied, biting her lip as she regarded the pentagram painted on the floor within which Parvati, Luna, and Ginny were disentangling themselves and sitting up, looking a bit sweaty and disheveled; and she peered at the dripping candles carefully positioned around them. "I'm curious to see if it's actually increased their magical potential. Aren't you?"

"Maybe later—when everyone's got some clothes on," Harry sighed. "But if you want to join in with this lot, knock yourself out. I'm really not fussed—"

"Don't be silly, Harry," said Hermione, rolling her eyes as Dora chuckled and Parvati and Ginny giggled nervously.

"Are you sure, Hermione?" asked Luna, looking hopeful. "If Harry really doesn't mind—"

"Yes, I'm certain," said Hermione firmly. "I just want to see how it's affected your spells."

"Right, see you in a bit," said Harry, and he continued up the stairs followed by Dora.

When he arrived in the kitchen, Harry laughed to see Dobby already waiting with a bottle of firewhiskey for him and Kreacher with a cup of coffee for Dora, and plateful of biscuits on the table. Apparently, the pair of house-elves had become well tuned to the inhabitants of Number Twelve's needs and seemed to have settled into a routine of sharing chores quite nicely.

Harry sipped his firewhiskey and nibbled a chocolate covered digestive while reading The Guardian—Dobby and Kreacher were now regularly fetching muggle newspapers and magazines as well—and Dora was sitting on the other side of the table reading New Musical Express.

"Really hope we find a spell t'make electrical equipment work while we're lookin' for other useful spells," she muttered. "That old-fashioned record player is alright, but I'd love to get a cd player and a proper stereo set up. Gary Numan's got a new one comin' out later this year—a telly wouldn't be a bad idea too."

"Yeah—that'd be cool," said Harry absentmindedly, frowning at a report of a bombing in Newcastle and wondering if Death Eaters were responsible.

Dora felt a vibration in one of her pockets and reached in for her mirror, wondering if it was Dumbledore. She gasped and her face lit up when she saw who it was.