8: High Stress Life

As always, thank you for your patience. Enjoy.

•••

When I woke up, it was dark outside and the light in the living room was minimal. Sean must've wiggled his way out as I now lay against a pillow, and for a moment, I allow myself to breathe deep and clear my head. Sure, we don't know what we're up against. But I have my boys.

I sat up on the couch, pulling my hair back from my face with a hair tie and massage my face. Couldn't I ever just relax? Living a high stress life like this couldn't be good for anybody.

Victor entered the room and turned on the lamp. “I was worried I was going to wake you but it looks like you're already up,” he smiled.

“Yeah. What'd I miss?”

“Nothing much. We didn't want to wake you for dinner but there's leftovers for you if you're hungry.”

Victor was always so kind, offering things to me, speaking gently, ever calm. I smiled at him and stretched out my hands for help up. He grabbed my hands and pulled me up, not letting go until we got to the kitchen.

He scooped out a me-sized portion of soup and put it in the microwave for me. With his back to me as he watched heat up, I looked over all the details I already knew: the chain only visible at the back of his neck, his waves calming down to meet the nape of his neck, and his tall posture and lean frame. I wonder if he could feel his eyes on him as he turned and gave me a quiet smile. Regardless, I blushed and turned to face the windows.

As I was eating, the front door opened and Nathan walked in. He was carrying a blanket with him and threw it on a kitchen chair as he walked to the fridge.

“What's that for,” I asked.

He shrugged with his back turned. “Something to sleep on.”

“Wha-”

“We're both staying here tonight, and there's only one extra mattress. We're just gonna have to figure things out as far as sleeping arrangements go.”

“You're joking, right?” I asked, even though I knew they weren't. “You're not actually sleeping on the floor.”

Victor ran his hands through his hair. I didn't know why the idea made me so upset but I didn't want them on the floor. It just wasn't right.

“You guys need sleep too, you know that right?”

“We know,” Nate replied. “But we were talking and figured it'd be better if there were two of us here. So…” He put some leftovers in the microwave for himself and turned around to look at me.

I was frustrated as I finished my soup. I checked my pockets for my phone but couldn't find it, and looked to Victor. “Can I borrow your phone please?”

He nodded, offering it to me without asking first. I loved how trusting he was, and as his fingers brushed mine as I took it I knew he understood I was unhappy about this. It gave me enough strength to at least dial Dr. Sean's number.

“Vic, what's up?” He answered almost immediately.

“It's not Victor, it's Sang.”

“Oh, well my bad. What's up, how're you feeling?”

“I'm okay. I wanted to ask you why apparently everyone's taking turns sleeping on the floor?”

“We're trying to make something work for now.”

“Okay, but, you're the doctor. Don't get me wrong, I have so much respect for you but shouldn't you know better than anyone that you and the rest of the boys need their sleep?”

“Yes. I know- what? It's Sang,” he said to someone in the background. “Sang, is it alright if I put it on speaker for Owen?”

Owen, I thought. Owen. “Yeah, sure…” I paused for a moment and glanced at the boys who were looking at me curiously. There was a beep on the line and a go ahead. “I'm just saying… you guys need your sleep. You need good sleep. I know you're trying to protect me but when you're irritated, sleep deprived, unhappy people how well are you going to protect me?”

“You make a fair point, Miss Sang.”

“I know you are trying to protect me. But if you're covering my back I should be covering yours.”

“You are truly the sweetest,” Sean said, and I could almost hear him smiling. I think I started to blush. Nate looked over at me and opened his mouth to say something, but with one look from me he closed it.

“We'll see what we can do, though I'm afraid our temporary solution will still be in place for  a few nights. Thank for your concern. Let us know if you need anything else.”

“Sure thing. Goodnight you guys,” I said, and two goodnights later I hung up and handed the phone back to Vic. “Thank you.”

Vic nodded and pocketed his phone. “No problem.”

The boys did rock paper scissors to decide who would sleep on the floor, Nathan losing, and I headed upstairs. My phone and book bag were waiting for me on my bed. My homework was already done, courtesy of Kota. I sent him a thank you text and then opened me and my dad's chat. Hey, some stuff's going down, let me know when you have a minute to talk.

The response came after I had finished getting ready for bed, and beyond that, as I was already in bed and the boys gradually taking their positions on the floor. I jumped at the notification sound and turned it off as I checked my phone.

Work's really busy, don't know when I'll have time. Sorry

I stared at it for a minute. Every now and then I got the feeling he would turn on me again. It was nagging, now, in the back of my mind.

“Everything alright?” Vic asks.

I push the thought away. He's trying, he's getting better. I put the phone down. “Yep. All good. Goodnight guys.”

“Goodnight Sang.”